Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Atul Agarwaal (P. Eng)     03 December 2014

Manager threatening to not issue the relieving letter

Hello,

So I am working at a big german automobile firm. Let me give you a background of problem. I was hired with this company for a specific role but when i joined this company I found that the role for which i was hired for was not even there. My JD (job descripttion) was a hoax and I left a stable job to work in some outdated low end work. But I couldn't have complained and kept doing whatever was asked for. I was asked eventually to go to Germany for work assignment. Now the company policy states that if I am going for first time from the company to Germany I would effectively be under a bond of 1 year and to break it I would need to pay all the expense bore by the company. Since I was already not happy with work I declined this opportunity while making some excuses. However my manager kept bugging me about it and finally at the third time of his asking I reluctantly agreed. However as luck has it the day I booked my ticket I got offer from one other company. Till then I had worked in this company for 8 months. I resigned immediately but this happened on the very day before I was supposed to travel. During all this I never signed any document which made it my legal duty to travel. I cancelled the tickets to travel on my own and mailed my manager that I want to resign with reason that I would like to do something else in future. However now my manager is threatening me that I wont be getting any letters from the company. I am ready to serve notice period of 3 months, paid from myself the cost gone in cancelling the tickets and there is nothing in my offer letter or the policy of the company which says it can deny a employee letters on account of leaving company before a year. Tell me please what can be done about this? Is my manager really rightful in implying all this?

Learning

4 Replies

Hardeep (Business)     04 December 2014

No he is not. Put whatever the Manager said on record via e-mail to the HR Head as well as MD of the Company, also pointing out the terms you have agreed to and your efforts to part amicably inspite of your job not being as offered in the Job Descripttion. Do not reveal which company you are joining even if pressurized.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     16 December 2014

Record (audiovisual) everything and submit minutes and representation to good offices of appointing authority, MD... Submit proper notice of resignation preferably by Letter thru Redg post addressed to appointing authority.... The notice period of 90 days may not necessarily be applicable to you....and it may not be more than 30 days..

Kumar Doab (FIN)     16 December 2014

There are many thread that you may find relevant e.g. https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/mobile/forum/relieving-from-the-bpo-company-113970.asp

Adv k . mahesh (advocate)     16 December 2014

as explained above what ever the communication you are making be on written/email because in future those will be useful for you as evidence and notice period will be normally for one month and not more then that in any organisation 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register