LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Swapnaneel (Lecturer)     05 October 2021

Loan guarantor and the primary borrowere

Person A took a loan from a bank with the help of the guarantors Person B and Person C. Person B is backed by a mortgage of his own property and he is not a relative of Person A. Person B died in 2016. Person C is A's mother, but her guarantee is not backed by any equitable mortgage. The loan became NPA in 2015, but the bank now in 2021, informing the successors of person B and saying that they will initiate SARFAESI.. The primary borrower i.e. person A hypothecated some govt work orders with the promise to route the payment through the loan account after completion of the works. But after completion of the works, person A using some unfair means, got paid the money in some other account than the loan account. Can this be regarded as fraud? What actions can be taken against the primary borrower for his such activity by the guarantor's successor? What should the guarantor's successor do now? The borrower did not route the money through the loan account, can it be regarded as breach of the agreement and the can the guarantor's successor withdraw his guarantee and security on this basis? 

Learning

8 Replies

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     06 October 2021

What is your concern / locus standi to the facts vis-a-vis facts posted ?

SIVARAMAPRASAD KAPPAGANTU (Retired Manager)     06 October 2021

The Bank is holding a Mortgage on the property and they can proceed against the same under SARFAESI as per the norms of the act. If the primary borrower deceived the bank because of which the loan became bad, that fact may not be a relief to the Guarantor and Bank cannot be prevented from proceeding against the property which is under their mortgage.

Guarantor or his legal heir to the property under mortgage has recourse against the Primary Borrower for recovery of the money paid by selling the property towards the loan of the primary borrower. 

Swapnaneel (Lecturer)     06 October 2021

Sir, I am the son of the guarantor and the owner of the mortgaged property i.e. Person B. My deceased father and the primary borrower are not relatives.

SIVARAMAPRASAD KAPPAGANTU (Retired Manager)     06 October 2021

Dear Swapnaneel Jee,

The liability of the Guarantor shall not change based on the fact whether such Guarantor is related to the Primary Borrower or not. Guarantor being the Guarantor is liable to the Bank on behalf of the Principal Borrower and besides that, in the instant case,  the Guarantor has given his property under Mortgage which is making the job of the Bank easy.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     06 October 2021

As per bank norms, the person that offered such a mortgage must also stand as a guarantor.  One can not argue with a bank that is equipped with securities and guarantees.  Contact a local advocate to explore the possibilities of stopping the bank from proceeding against the property.

Advocate Bhartesh goyal (advocate)     06 October 2021

Both borrower and guarantor are liable to pay loan amount and interest on it.guarantee or his successor can not escape from the liability of bank dues and outstanding amount on the ground that principal borrower is not his relative.

1 Like

M V Gupta (Advocate)     06 October 2021

I agree with the views of the experts. I will add, you cannot also plead before the Bank or the court that the bank should proceed first against the principal borrower and if the amount is not recovered, then only the mortgage should be enforced. The guarantee deed/mortgage deed does contain a clause against such pleading. 

1 Like

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     08 October 2021

Very well explained, opined and advised by experts Mr. Bhartesh Goyal and Mr. M V Gupta, I fully agree.

Even if your father (since deceased) was not a relative of the principal borrower, he (now his LRs) are jointly and severally liable for the outstanding amount (loan).

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register