LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Parthasarathi Loganathan (Advocate)     29 January 2010

Law Practice

Being a full time employee of a leading Nationalised bank and a law graduate, can I practice Law during week end holidays / Sundays giving legal advise and counseling to public since Advocate's Act is silent about this aspect? We seen Government Doctors practicing Medicine in their private clinics during the evening hours displaying their Name Board and Designation of their Government Posts? Please advise. I have posted the same query in the open forum

Learning

6 Replies

O. Mahalakshmi (Law practiece)     29 January 2010

It is not possible for being a GOOD Lawyer.

R.R. KRISHNAA (Legal Manager)     29 January 2010

Dear Mr. Parthasarathy

The supreme court has held in the case of Hemraj L. Chulani Vs Bar Council of Maharastra & Goa (AIR 1996 SC 1708) that restricting the entry of a person already carrying on other profession is not arbitrary an therefore not against article 14 of the constitution and also not violative of article 19 (1) (g) which guarantees right to practice any profession or occupation or business. 

There is relevant provision under the advocates act for debarring a person to practice when already he is under full employment in an organization or business or vice versa.

aruntrivedi (lawyer)     29 January 2010

no read advocates act 1961

manisha agarwal (lawyer)     30 January 2010

MR. prathasarthi loganathan

Being a full time employee of a bank, it is not possible for you to carry other business. THE ADVOCATE ACT,1961 provides a provision for debarring a person from practicing law, carrying two businesses at a time,and law may also make u libel for fine. 

sachin (practising lawyer)     01 February 2010

dear sir, it is impossible ,on when u resign from the bank job,an enrolled in any bar council of india......then only u can practise as an advocate

Parthasarathi Loganathan (Advocate)     16 March 2010

I should wholehearted clarify here that since I am financially independent and not aspiring to mint money in the name of Law Practice, why can we people be involved in Free legal counselling for the society to keep in touch with the profession as we cannot be expected to deliver the goods at the age of our retirement from bank services.  Are we not deprived about a legitimate right to exercise our knowledge gained out of our academic qualifications in Law? Advocate Act should address such issues

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register