LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Praveen Goud Vanga (Advocate)     16 September 2011

Law on destruction of records

I am a regular property-tax payee every year to Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC) from the past 20 years assessment years (1991-2011).

Recently due to electricity short-circuit , most of property-tax paid receipts burned away at our home .

Now I want  to apply for  land regularization scheme( LRS) as announced by state government. To apply  LRS it is mandatory to file the 20 years property-tax receipts as enclosures.

Recently, I applied  for  copies  of 20 years property-tax receipts under section 6(i) of the Right to information act, 2005 to the Public Information Officer of GHMC.

PIO  replied me  in a letter that, GHMC cannot provide  copies of property-tax receipts  for the past 20 years (1991-2011) as the same were destroyed  as per the department policy.

For the above reasons, I cannot be denied the right to apply for land regularization scheme( LRS) scheme.

What inference/ presumption can be drawn for  current issue as per the law ?

Is there any provision of law to overcome want of  the lack/ destroyed documents ?

Learning

1 Replies

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     17 September 2011

I am not a lawyer. But it appears to me illogical that if the policy of GHMC is to destroy 20 year records, how can another limb of the Government ask you for records in perpetuity. Should not GHMC satisfy themselves that all dues as per the records destroyed have been received? Up to how many years back have they got the records? 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register