Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Shankar (Self)     22 December 2022

Is title deed mandatory for ancestral property

Dear All,

My grandfather had 18 acres when he passed away. My father has two brothers and three sisters (all married before 2000). My father and his elder brother are deceased, currently only my father's younger brother is alive.

We went for succession of ancestral land in 2015 and as part of that my mother and my aunt (elder bro's wife) acquired 6 acres each in place of my father and his elder brother. My father's younger brother also got his share of 6 acres. My father's sisters got nothing as per the law of that year in 2015. All this was done directly in the MRO office without registering any document, just by showing my grandfather's ancestral acquisition document and individual KHATA of ownerships were opened immediately on the three new owners.

Now as a proof of ownership all three parties have only the E-Passbooks and KHATA numbers. We have not done internal boundary demarcations yet. The government website of land details is also reflecting the new owners with each extent details. Is this sufficient to call absolute ownership or is it mandatory to register boundaries in a document for the same. Can I go for sale of land without title deed? 

Learning

2 Replies

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     22 December 2022

You obtained KHATA passbook/entry in the record.  Now as your father died, with the death of extract of your father, you shall get the mutation in the Khata, and after getting that you can sell your share.

1 Like

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     23 December 2022

You have complicated facts posted in the query.

It is appropriate to show title documents to a local prudent lawyer for better appreciation of facts and advise.

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register