Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

flower (looking)     11 December 2011

Is it correct and right time to file defamation suite?

Hi,

Divorce case has been filled by husband. One of the point in the divorce application was that this marriage was dowry less.

In the response wife replied  through her written statement(WS) that" The para X is wrong and incorrect. The father of this respondent  gave handsome (huge) amount of money in cash and also in kinds to the father of petitioner and also to the petitioner as gift. So marriage was not solemnised free of cost."

Husband complained to employer of his father in law's(FIL) - a goverment organization for giving dowry by his father in law. An enquiry was conducted by government organization. In the enquiry father in law was asked a submit written statement to a set ot questions. In his answer FIL responded as follows 

1. What is your name  -   XXXXXX

2. How many daughters you have  -- 2

3. Who is Mr.. ZZZZ( petitione name) to you - son in law

4. which of your daughter got married to Mr. ZZZZZ -  elder Ms.  AAAAA

5. Did you give any dowry in this marriage - No.

6. Do you know taking and giving dowry is an offence in  dowry prohibition act  - Yes

Signed and dated

XXXXXX

( For inquisitive minds, copy of FIL response was collected through RTI)

Now the situation is  - at one hand wife has said that her father gave huge sum of money in marriage and marriage was not free of cost. But her father is saying that  he did not give dowry. Clearly in this  wife  has defamed  hisband and his family. (in fact it is a truth that not even single penny was taken).

So what should husband should do? Shall he go ahead and file suit of defamation now?  Divorce case is at issue fixation stage?

Learning

13 Replies

flower (looking)     11 December 2011

One clarification - wife has not filled any case under 498a yet.

Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     12 December 2011

OK. Father spent money on the marriage and not gave dowry. He gave gifts.

What is the issue in it?

Regards,

Shonee Kapoor
harassed.by.498a@gmail.com

galsober@yahoo.co.in (def)     12 December 2011

Also, fine print (498a) says that:

1) Boy's side shud have demanded that money

2) Boy's side wud have harassed the girl side for getting the money

flower (looking)     12 December 2011

Shonee,

I think from where your question is comming. I should also have written the statement of husband in his plaint. Husband wrote

"4. That it is being made clear that in the marriage the petitioner and his parents did not receive single penny by way of dowry."

In the response wife said that  "The para 4 is wrong and incorrect. The father of this respondent  gave handsome (huge) amount of money in cash and also in kinds to the father of petitioner and also to the petitioner as gift. So marriage was not solemnised free of cost."  

- So clearly, wife is saying that "dowry" was given      though not using the words dowry.   Having said that do you feel that this is a  case of going defamation.? As said previosly the divorce case is in issue fixation stage and there is no 498a yet.

Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     12 December 2011

No buddy, this is using a fair bit of imagination to file defamation.

Cases are not fought on conjentures.

Regards,

Shonee Kapoor

flower (looking)     14 December 2011

Shonee,

Either you are not getting me or I am not getting you.

First this defamation is against wife and not father in law.   Wife has clearly said that the statement " husband and his family  has not  recieved a single penny by way of dowry" is false and incorrect.

Does  not above amount to saying tat husband and his family took dowry.

Also she goes on to say that her father gave huge some... father is denying that he gave any dowry.

So how come we can say that wife has not put wrong allegation.that husband and his family has taken dowry? Is not that defamation?

dr.pawan rajyan (member and secretory)     14 December 2011

dear flower,  you are not getting shonee`s point. s.court has given a decision ...........gift/money given at the time of marriage /birth of child by women father/relatives is not dowry but should be understood as gift  as common in society.you can not file defamation. your father statement (which you get by rti) is useful to you in future to save you from 498a/dv act etc

DEFENSE ADVOCATE.-firmaction@g (POWER OF DEFENSE IS IMMENSE )     14 December 2011

defamation cases do not stand on such trifles.

flower (looking)     14 December 2011

So since when wrongly blaming  taking dowry became trifle.?

I thought taking dowry is a serious crime - should not the wrong blame for taking dowry be more than serious crime?

Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     15 December 2011

I understand you aungish.

But what is the ground of defamation? Has his claims of giving money/ dowry been found false by any court of law?

Regards,

Shonee Kapoor

flower (looking)     18 December 2011

Shonee,

No court has yet said that  the allegtion of taking dowry is false.  As the case, as I said in my first e mail,is just issue fixation date.

I understand that one way can be that let court come at conclusion that yes that allegation was wrong.

But I don't think court giving verdict that an allegation was wrong beforehand for filling defamation is important. I think  the defamation suit filler should be able to prove in the case that the allegations were wrong.

rajiv_lodha (zz)     19 December 2011

U know, the version of opposite gang?................They wil say- the whole issue is sub-jidice, let the competent court decide who is right & who is wrong, the issue can not run in 2 courts simutaneously.

So, defamation is cold dish to serve, not hot! Wait 4 sometime

Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     24 December 2011

Agreed, first let the court decide on the matter.

Regards,

Shonee Kapoor

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register