Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

HelloWorld (efgh)     06 August 2014

Investment detail demand

Hi,

I am an employee in a prominent investment bank in Mumbai and rather recently the company has begun insisting on us to provide them with the statement of DEMAT transactions and other personal investment details in our personal account and in the accounts of our immediate family members & relatives.

They are doing this activity under the garb of some "compliance and regulatory requirements" in order to supposedly prevent fraudulent and insider trading.

I have personally been classified as a "non-sensitive" employee who doesn't have access to such information, yet the company is insistent on me furnishing all the details of my personal dealings with them.

Now, I  don't have a problem with this per se as I have nothing to hide, however I have a problem with this on a matter of principle as the company is neither a statutory nor government body to insist on the employees furnishing such information with it.

My question to the legal eagles here is whether the company can insist that the employees provide such financially confidential information to it and whether I can refuse to provide the same?

Learning

2 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     06 August 2014

If there are no regulatory requirements implying: from Government then you are under no obligation to subscribe to the private policies of the employer be it some : Compliance Policy.

Until or unless you are not paying the requisite Income tax and other charges if any, you are not violating the law.

Since you are classified and categorized 'Non sensitive Employee'  by the internal guidelines set by the company (of course in accordance wit regulatory guidelines of the govt. applicable to the company) you may gently remind the company personnel asking such details from you.

In private establishments one should be smart enough to handle such matters without inviting reprimand/vindication/penultimate action in any other shape and kind.

Therefore decide your approach carefully.

Why don't you discuss it with your regular lawyer before you decide you action! 

It shall be better! 

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     08 August 2014

You said

"nor government body to insist on the employees furnishing such information with it."

Who told you this.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register