LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

HappyFuture (house wife)     31 December 2013

Husband not willing for divorce

My sister got married in 2001 and left her husband in 2009 after she could not bear his torture any more. She filed a divorce petition against her husband in Nov 2010 and it is still going on. They don't have any children

Important facts of the case -
1. He is not agreeing for mutual consent in spite of multiple attempts. His only aim seems to be make her life miserable.
2. He is having personality disorder which we got to know through her office counselling in 2010 (after she came out) but he refused to come for any further treatment because of which she was forced to file a divorce
3. During the 8 years of marriage, he and his family had ill treated her in different ways, but being a south Indian Brahmin coming from a middle class conservative family, she just adjusted not thinking of divorce. There was no physical assault but lot of mental abuse and demoralization leading to high depression on her side.
4. They were not able to have a child because he was never truly interested in having a physical relationship with her. But again, he and his family made her believe it is because of her physical condition for which she went for multiple treatments which was not required at all. She was totally scared of him and his anger because of which she had never conveyed all this to any of us during their life together.
5. In the divorce petition, we had not mentioned much about the physical relationship part due to delicacy. We had mentioned about personality disorder but it could not be proved in the counselling sessions in the court
6. He has not even filed a counter so far and he just keeps dragging the issue with an intention of torturing her. He comes to the court off and on and does not allow the case to proceed further.
7. So far, counselling has got completed with the report that with no clear proof of personality disorder on his side . We tried for mediation but after two rounds, he cancelled that as well saying he will speak in the court directly. But he never comes for any two sessions continuously and it just keeps getting postponed to the next date
8. She has worked for 4 years when they were together and he has kept all the money with himself in the form of FDs, in her name, but refusing it to return it to her, saying it is for the expense he has incurred for her. We filed a claim petition for this but again, there is no response from his side. 
9. We avoided filing a police case initially as we are from middle class and were scared of the society. But after nearly 2 years, we got vexed and tried it early this year (May 2013) but police said they cannot do anything because it is coming too late. There is nothing in the divorce petition saying he has sent her out but that she has come out voluntarily

My sister was 34 when she came out and now she is 37. He is very greedy as can be seen by the fact that he is not ready to give the money she earned but even if we say we dont want any maintenance, or he can keep the money she earned as well, he is still not ready to give a divorce. We want to end this somehow but not sure how to proceed. Can someone please provide a suggestion by which we can end this?  Is there any particular rule which says after 3 years of separation, there is no point in continuing and we can get the divorce without his consent?  can we file a new petition or a change to the existing one where we can add the points on physical relationship or desertion? will it have any effect?

Learning

7 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     31 December 2013

Can someone please provide a suggestion by which we can end this?  Is there any particular rule which says after 3 years of separation, there is no point in continuing and we can get the divorce without his consent?  can we file a new petition or a change to the existing one where we can add the points on physical relationship or desertion? will it have any effect?

The court will decide on this very point raised which reads above. The endless litigation dragged on without any meaningful purpose will end up the way as mentioned by you above, wait for some more time.

(Guest)

1] My sister got married in 2001 and left her husband in 2009.
it is almost nearer to 4-5 years.

2] 2. He is having personality disorder which we got to know through her office counselling in 2010
bt on tht grnd, u deserted him.

6. He has not even filed a counter so far
seems it is ur sincere  wish tht he file. is there any TRAP ?

7. So far, counselling has got completed with the report that with no clear proof of personality disorder on his side .
seems r u unhappy with result.

mediation but after two rounds, he cancelled that as well saying he will speak in the court directly.
as far i knw, it is court decide.

8. She has worked for 4 years when they were together and he has kept all the money with himself in the form of FDs, in her name, but refusing it to return it to her, saying it is for the expense he has incurred for her. We filed a claim petition for this but again, there is no response from his side.

if fd in ur sister nme, thn wht prevent u to approach bankers fr ISSUE OF DUPLICATE FD.

frm the prevailed situation, one may assume tht u won't give him ur salary to keep just out of luv & affection, thn ur readiness to leave it all may b suspicious and shld b taken it with a pinch of salt.

My sister was 34 on 2009 when she came out and now she is 37.
frm ur own posting year of desertion is 2009 and nw it is 2013 [almost 4 yrs]. thn her age must b around 38-39ys.

But after nearly 2 years, we got vexed and tried it early this year (May 2013)
but ur sister deserted him on 2009 [i.e. 4 years before and not 2 years]  so decide after 2 or 4 yrs. [seems maths is very poor]

lastly like u hv worry abt getting old age of ur sister there r chances tht they r too worried abt it. they hv to marry their son like u hv. thn in tht case u must b hide sumthing.

u must b well aware of the cause.

Nadeem Qureshi (Advocate/ nadeemqureshi1@gmail.com)     01 January 2014

agree with experts, Liar is well advise, point to point.

HappyFuture (house wife)     02 January 2014

Hi,

I would not want to reply for people who are replying for this post with malicious intentions. I am looking for some good advice from advocates who are experienced in this. However, just to make a few things clear for them to provide  a proper guidance 

1. Many wives believe in giving their salary to their husbands fully believing them and trusting that it will be used for the family. If the FDs are in the custody of the husband and we have to leave the house in a state of tormented mind, I don't think we have any option than to leave it and come. My sister never had an opportunity to invest her salary which was always done by the husband. so she was not even sure which banks he had put them and could not ask for duplicate FD

2. She left him in a state of torture where she could not tolerate his behaviour any more. We dint know that there was a medical problem behind that.. we thought it was a family fight which can be resolved. Only when we tried for marriage counselling in office, did we got to know that he had always had the personality disorder problem and unless treated properly, her life was going to be miserable. That is when we took the decision for divorce

3. I am sure his parents knew about his problem all along which is why they never appeared in the court even once. They never even came to us trying to set it right which would have been the normal behaviour of any family after their son/daughter want to separate after 8 years. 

4.  If they are worried about the old age of their son, his parents would have told him to stop fighting and just agree with mutual consent when my parents had clearly told that they are not after money but what they want is only peace for their daughter.  They are also equally malicious as they told my parents that they want my sister to suffer. 

5. We are not hiding anything or trying to set any trap. If that had been the intention, it would have been a well planned exit and we could have filed a police complaint with all lies right on the first day. It is a middle class god fearing family where we are merely looking for peace of mind for my parents who are old and attending the court with her for the past 4 years with so much pain. 

6. It is very easy to prove black and white cases like the husband being a drunkard, womanizer, etc. But in our case, it is a state of mental torture where it is impossible to live with the person. But the nature of the disease, personality disorder, itself, is that the person can change and have different behaviours in front of different people, which is why we are not able to prove the point. 

All I am trying to look for is some help for a person who has faced this pain for 8 years and continuing to face even after leaving him. 

(Guest)

ur lawyer, believe is a sane person. must b hv basic knowledge if not intricacy. ur problem, provided it is true, child of ur neighbour can give u advice wht to do in this scenario.

(Guest)

@ author,

frm ur reply, seems in absence of valid reason, u dislike the adverse opinion on ur verdict.

in india, prevailed one side law, even DEAD MAN can not think in his dream
either to deny the MCD and here u r offering MCD with ur salary as an incentive and ur man is GREEDY.
or make life of his wife miserable.

in this forum most of r victim of greedy and venomus wife and in-laws.
request u to declare ur true identity so tht v give example of ur noble nature to our greedy venomus wife and in-laws

also give us a contact details of ur man so tht v can learn one or two things hw to defend ourseleves frm greedy and venomus wife and in-law. of course v do not want to make life of our wife miserable bt want to defend

pl. don't deny.

(Guest)

@ author,

frm ur reply, seems in absence of valid reason, u dislike the adverse opinion on ur verdict.

in india, prevailed one side law, even DEAD MAN can not think in his dream
either to deny the MCD and here u r offering MCD with ur salary as an incentive and ur man is GREEDY.
or make life of his wife miserable.

in this forum most of r victim of greedy and venomus wife and in-laws.
request u to declare ur true identity so tht v give example of ur noble nature to our greedy venomus wife and in-laws

also give us a contact details of ur man so tht v can learn one or two things hw to defend ourseleves frm greedy and venomus wife and in-law. of course v do not want to make life of our wife miserable bt want to defend

pl. don't deny.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register