LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Raj Kumar Makkad (Adv P & H High Court Chandigarh)     09 May 2010

HUNGRY AND POOR

The capacity to endure injustice, death, destruction and deprivation is founded on a core belief in fate. There is no certainty when inflation will decline to the point where the poor can afford to eat the sort of food that India's nutrition-based poverty index deems adequate. The price index has gone back up and there is a grim signal in the curious up-tick in food prices even though overall inflation has come down to just over 16 per cent, which means the poor are no better off now than they were in December. Bubble-wrapped in faith, the Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee's response has been a formal reassurance that prices will come down some time soon and the only emergency measure that the Government has thought necessary is the decision to sell additional quantities of wheat and rice through ration shops as a solution to reaching food to people living below the poverty line. That will not deliver the sort of emergency care needed to protect the tens of thousands of infants and children — India's demographic dividend — whose future may well have been ravaged by hunger and the inability of their families to buy emergency health care. The promise that the poor armed with the guarantee of 100 days of employment would not suffer from hunger has proved empty, because for over 18 months inflation has raged out of control.

Pursuing a policy that despite its aam admi rhetoric is just the same old and useless trickle down development model that has not worked even when the Indian economy galloped along is part of the fatalism that pervades public policy and governance. Raising the bar on the number of people living below the poverty line to 37.2 per cent, up from 27.5 per cent, only implies that there are millions added to the already shameful numbers of hungry, that is, 43 per cent of all males and 48 per cent females. Pontificating on the advantages and disadvantages of food stamps versus universal rationing versus targeted rationing for BPL families, weighing the pros and cons of giving 25 kg per family per week against 35 kg, estimating the expense of selling the entitlement at Rs 2 a kg versus Rs 3 a kg are obvious symptoms of fatalism. More angst is displayed discussing cricket than inflation and its appalling consequences. Linking inflation to availability of food is a dodge that has been used for too long by the political class. Inflation needs to be brought down because it affects not just the poor but also economic growth and development. Food security has to be guaranteed as an entitlement because that is good economics, good politics and good governance.

Learning

8 Replies

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     10 May 2010

Aam Admi and PM/President

I am told when PM/President travel abroad, a 747 Jumbo is ripped open and converted into a 5-star hotel. As if it was not enough, another Jumbo 747 is kept in readiness. 

Cost to the public: Not a couple of crores. In multiples of 19 crores.

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     11 May 2010

Such narration alwys reminds me of a lectures during my college days " a rich man vomits in a star hotel out of excessive foods and drinks and on the front gate of the star Hotel a beggar was begging with a bowl. this is what our Democracy is.

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     11 May 2010

They don't  but they claim that they represent us.

Bhartiya No. 1 (Nationalist)     11 May 2010

We are kind of people who do not deserve political freedom/self rule. We can not improve anything and system has been deteriorated further. That is why Indian Doctors are not allowed to be Consultant, rather they remain GP whole life. We lack in attitude.

S.Sabarinadh (Student)     11 May 2010

My political representative travels only in the BMW 530 Ld, and iam in a bicycle that too rickety and he says that fresh air is good for health..................

He eats his supper from Seven star hotel and I from the back yard dump box of this hotel and he says that it is the fate and what can he do.................

He have thousand sof villas in allpart of the city and i have tose roadfronts of the villas to sleep......................

He have the money to buy a thousand cloth and i have a cloth with thousand holes..................

He have thousand people to ask and i have thousands in front of me to snub...........................

The diffrentiation btween rich and poor is there from the origin of civilisations. That is not the problem ,The crux of the problem is that  they still says that poor must be uplifted and they are sympathetic to poor...........

ALWAYS THE RICH GETS RICHER AND THE POOR GETS POORER SO IT IS THE "DESERVATION" FOR THE POOR TO BE ALWAYS WITH HUNGER FOR A LOT..............................................................

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     11 May 2010

Manmohan Singh is running a government with 80 ministers some of whom are facing worst criminal charges but the compulsion of arithmetic keeps him, Sonia and Rahul tongue-tied. What is the use of being soft, gentleman, honest and hardworking if there is general loot around you? Either it is CPM or Lalu or Mulayam or Mayawati or other insignificant persons but having numbers that have tied him down. Raja, the Telecom Minister, is a classical example. Karunanidhi delayed formation of II UPA Govt for a month forcing Manmohan and Sonia to give plum postings to his men, son and daughter. Jaylalitha did the same to Vajpayee Govt. In simple language, it is sheer blackmail. There is a classical spectacle of Ministers pulling the cart in every direction; criticizing government policies and other Ministers.

In India, parliamentary democracy is a big joke. All through it is number game.

(Guest)

It is whose responsibility to keep on watch on the persons who are in power and initiate action against defaulters ?????

Why they will keep on watch on self and initiate action against themselves ?????  Who is in superior position why they will initiate action for equality ?????

Who is in need of equal opportunity ?????  It is their responsibility and need to initiate action and struggle for it.

Why every individual citizen does not initiate and struggle for their rights???  It is the responsibility as well as duty of every sufferer citizen to ever exercise their democratic rights and it only means the democracy.  If people do not use their democratic rights there will be no democracy and dictatorship immediately take over which is unfortunately happening !!!

(Guest)

Who stops them for using their democratic rights ?????  RIGHTS ARE NEVER SERVED IN THE PLATE AT DINING TABLE WE HAVE TO EARN IT OTHERWISE "JISKI LAATHI USKI BHAINS"",  I’m trying in English for my brothers who feel difficult in Hindi but since these words originating in Hindi areas; "WHO HAVE STICK IN HANDS HE WILL OWN THE BUFFALLOW"...  But everyone thinks that someone else do something instead of taking initiative at their own.  SO WHY SOMEONE ELSE WILL INITIATE ACTION FOR SOMEONE ELSE ????? 

EVERYONE COME UP WHEREEVER YOU ARE !!!!!

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register