25% OFF on all LCI Courses. Offer valid till 5th Oct. Use Code: DUS25
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Abhave Sharma (Student)     20 April 2015

How to vacate a tenant in case of no written rent agreement

My grandparents are both super senior citizens. They had rented the first floor of their house to a super senior couple 8 years ago. They did not sign any written agreements and were receiving rent in cash. Now they intend to sell the house and move in with me. However the tenants now refuse to vacate the premises. Please advise what should be done


 3 Replies

saravanan s (legal advisor)     20 April 2015

send them through registered post with ad a notice stating that you are going to sell the premises and you want them to vacate.if they still dont vacate you can proceed with the sale but its a little difficult to find a party who wont mind the tenants still occupying the premises.once after you sell the property intimate the tenants that  the ownership has changed and hereafter they got to pay rent to the new owners

Dalip Singh (Advocate)     21 April 2015

Without written agreement, you can get the premises vacated by terminating their tenancy by giving legal notice through your local lawyer.   After terminating the tenancy, the tenancy would be on day to day basis and you can claim damages for illegal use and occupation.  

Well Wisher (analyst)     04 August 2015

With registered agreement i am struggling from past 2 year. With out agreement then really god should save you dear friend.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query