LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Shruti   15 April 2024

General power of attorney

My father is defendant in a case filed recently by my uncle. My father gave me his POA. We have not found a lawyer yet but on first court hearing date, can I submit photocopy of POA and sign in Order Sheet. My father cannot travel due to a health emergency. Please advise. 


 3 Replies

P. Venu (Advocate)     15 April 2024

Procedure reqires only the presence of the defendant (or his authorised agent) and/or the duly authorised advocate. There are no documents to be signed. 

It is ideal that your father engages an advocate and conduct the case with his assistance and guidance.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     15 April 2024

Besides getting a power of attorney deed executed in your favor for the purpose of court case, an affidavit is to be filed by you before court seeking permission to be appointed as your father's representative through the POA deed and your advocate can file a petition under order III Rule 2 CPC seeking court permission to permit you to represent him for the reasons stated therein. 

Dr. J C Vashista (Advocate )     16 April 2024

You can represent your father in the case/ suit on the strength of PoA.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register