LCI Learning
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Anshum (QWE)     24 September 2009

House Alteration- Society Rules: Mumbai



I have purchased a flat in Mumbai and wish to carry out structural changes in the house before occupying the same. After my discussion with the property agent, I am not sure if I am legally allowed to carry out these changes. Request your guidance.

Following changes are detailed.

1. Join the bathroom and toilet to combine into a single entity- Inside intermediate wall to be brought down.
2. Open Kitchen Space into Living Room- Inside Kitchen wall to be brought down.
3. Extend Half Windows to Floor (French) windows, without extending them vertically.


Please suggest if this is allowed, whether society can legally deny the right to carry out these changes, any suggestions for partial alterations allowed . Also, appreciate references from appropriate acts/bylaws.




 7 Replies

Isaac Gabriel (Advocate)     27 September 2009

Constructions would have been made on the basis of the type designs approved by the management of the society.If at all any modification is desored,it has to be brought to notice of  the management and its approval is obtained, as the records need to be updated with regard to the plans and plinth area of the flat .

Anshum (QWE)     29 September 2009

Dear Sir,

Appreciate if you can share your opinion with regards to specific alterations proposed in the initial message.

Regards, Anshum

Isaac Gabriel (Advocate)     29 September 2009

In flat system,the  inner arrangements and designs are made to suit the hygienic conditions and the convenience prevalent in the locality..But after purchasing the flat the owners prefer to alter the same ,in accordance with vastu requirements.The changes proposed by you seem to gain more living space inside,and also to increase the plinth area by demolishing the kitchen wall.After alteration,the other owners may follow suit as it will be of more convenience enabling free view throughought.Go ahead.

dk.anand (legal head)     10 November 2009

dear , In order to safeguard interest or otherwise legal action from sosiety ,please get certificate from structural engeneer/architect stating therein that proposed alterations have no impact in or cause any damage or wqeaken the buildings walls or directly or indirectly damage the building.However under plan or layout which were sanctioned by the society or contractor will also be affected if you will not obtain pstautory permissions from competent authority.

Kanaksinh P.Boda (Educationist/Lawyer)     20 November 2009

Also in such cases it is advisible to get the certificate from local municipal authority in form of NOC, which normally is given on the basis of opinion of structural engineers and by a personal visit of municipal deipt.

Rumplestein (Developer)     22 December 2009

For CIDCO governed areas,can u pls give pointers,where can we get permission.

Which department of raigad bhavan.pls guide

Kamlesh Mehta (BDM)     02 August 2014

Dear Sir,

If any member want to carry out alteration in flat, what should be the exact sequence of getting authentic  permission from following offices.

MCGM / Authorized architect / society

The order should be,




Please advice as members are saying that first NOC should be given by the society, but society is layman on rules & regulations of MCGM as well as architectural point of view on any kind of at least major alterations.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register