LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

KR Kumar (Son)     03 December 2011

Heirs debarred through will

My Father(Retd) passed away in 2000. But he made a WILL debarring one of my brother from making any claim on the property, money, jewlery, etc becuase of certain reasons. Everything that he owns belongs to him and nothing is from Ancestors. Subsequently My mother was earning Family Pension. After 09 Years my mother passed away without any WILL. My questions are:-

(a) Is the debarred Son a legal heir?

(b) While issuing Legal heir Certificate, does Tahsildar will take cognisance of the WILL to debarr the SON from Legal Heirship?

Thanks. KR Kumar

Learning

4 Replies

DEFENSE ADVOCATE.-firmaction@g (POWER OF DEFENSE IS IMMENSE )     03 December 2011

Will is the absolute right of testator and full freedom how to dispose the property after death.

Adv.Vandana Vaidya (Advocate & Regd. Patent Attorney)     03 December 2011

From your post it is clear that one of your brother does not get any share, but it is not clear, if your mother was the first beneficiary of the entire estate and that she had any rights. However, I take it that, your fathers Will is full and final, so even if she drew family pension it did not give her any right to disperse the self-acquired property of your father. In such a case, you can go ahead an honour your father’s Will. Legal heir certificate will definitely mention all the siblings names, but the language of the Will becomes important while distribution of estate. However, if you all brothers are in good terms and have no issue to give equal share or some share to the other who is being left out from the Will, then even this is possible, where you need not bring the Will in picture.

Adv.Vandana Vaidya

KR Kumar (Son)     03 December 2011

Dear Adv.Vandana Vaidya, Thanx for responding. My father had not given any rights to mother. My requriement of Legal Heir certificate is for claiming Bank balances only. And we do not intend to put the name of debarred brother in the Legal heir Certificate. He had abondoned us morethan 2 decades ago and is not in talking terms. If you could please specifical advise on the two queries too. raklali @ Yahoo dot Com

Vakeel Civil Court (Director)     03 December 2011

Your father has made a will by barring one legal heir form taking any share, but does he in the will state as how the others should share. This is important because your mother also becomes owner of one share and as per your statement that your mother died intestate, in such case your barred brother becomes entitled for a share out of your mothers share.

In the above scenario the answer to your questions (a) is ===== yes, (b)=====No

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register