LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Leena   28 June 2020

Guidance on verification of property documents

My father (referred to as “buyer” from hereon) is considering buying a 140 sq. yd vacant plot of land in Delhi. The plot is located in an unauthorized colony, but in the list of colonies to be regularized under PM-UDAY scheme. The plot is cut from a 290 sq. yard property. Since registration can’t be done, sale and purchase of property happens through power of attorney. The 140 sq. yd. plot is currently co-owned by a husband and wife couple (referred to as “sellers” from hereon). They purchased the land from the previous owners – an elderly husband and wife couple (referred to as “owners” from hereon). It seems the owners are not accessible now (either deceased or relocated to their native place). Upon initial conversation with the sellers and scrutiny of the documents, few things were discovered:

1) The sellers have the power of attorney from the elderly husband only (and not wife) in owners. Since the owners power of attorney was in the name of the elderly husband and wife, shouldn’t the wife also be part of the sale agreement with the sellers? There is no NOC or any other legal document from the elderly wife (owners) saying that she is fine with the sale. How can the buyer safeguard his interests and any possibility of the agreement getting challenged legally in future.
2) The sellers brought the plot through the owners daughter and son-in-law. Is there any NOC or any other legal document required from the children of the owners?
3) As mentioned before, the 140 sq. yd. plot in question is part of a larger 290 sq. yd. plot. The remaining 150 sq. yd. plot is owned by someone else. Should the buyer of the 140 sq. yd. plot get the original title deed for the 290 sq. yd. plot possessed by the owners? A larger question is: in cases where a larger plot is cut into two and sold to two different parties, which of the buyers get the original sale deed of the original combined plot from the owners?
4) How can one check if the khasra number mentioned in the sale deed is correct and actually belongs to the plot in question?

Please pardon my lack of knowledge of legal terminologies and processes. I would be grateful if an expert could help me with my questions. Thank you very much, Leena.

Learning

2 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     28 June 2020

In 2011, the Supreme Court (SC) held that transferring property title through General Power of Attorney is not valid.

1 Like

Sunayana Chhabra   05 July 2020

The documents are controversial. So don't go with this deal. Feel free to contact at sunayana122@gmail.com for further assistance.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register