LIVE Online Course on NDPS by Riva Pocha and Adv. Taraq Sayed. Starting from 24th May. Register Now!!
LAW Courses

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sekar   04 March 2016

Getting money from deceased saving account

Dear Experts,


My grandmother executed a registered will in my name.  She demised few months ago

She has a savings account in State Bank and has got some cash balance. She did not mention any nominee. 


Can I use the registered will copy to withdraw the amount?

Though she has given everything to me by registered will - she has a living son & daughter to whom she has not given any share.

So can I encash the total amount in bank by using my registered will copy? Or will the others also get a share?


Please reply 



 4 Replies

saravanan s (legal advisor)     04 March 2016

she would have specified somene as a nominee in her bank account.only they will be able to acess the this

When Nomination is registered with the bank, the nominee can apply to the Bank, giving full details of the accounts of the deceased depositor. On receipt of the claim from the nominee, the branch will verify the photocopy with the original Death Certificate, Nomination number as registered in CBS, Nomination register.

Signatures of two witnesses of good standing and integrity who are acceptable to the Bank should also be provided on the application. The witness can be any of the following:

  • Magistrate or Judicial official

  • Any Officer of the Central / State Government or Any Officer of the Bank.

  • Any two persons acceptable to the Bank.

RAJU O.F., (Advocate)     08 March 2016

If the deceased person did not give any nomination in the SB account opening form, then the legal heirs of the deceased person can claim the amount lying in her account, on production of death certificate and legal heirship certificate. If bank is willing they can release the amount to one person agreed by all legal heirs, on his executing indemnity bond with two sureties, for the said amount.

1 Like

Kumar Doab (FIN)     22 April 2016

Refer to RBI ; Master Circular on Customer Services; Section 19 & 20.

The bank may ask to get the WILL probated.

1 Like

Prasun Chandra Das (Banker)     26 April 2016

RBI has instructed all Bank's to frame proper guidelines on the process to be followed in such cases. Therefore, process to be followed in such cases differ from one bank to another. You should speak to the Bank officials and ask them what documents they require for claim.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Threads

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query