IBC Code: Complete Overview and Drafting Workshop. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Kamaraj (Er)     26 February 2011

General Power of Attorney

Dear Sir,

I am right now working in Singapore. I am planning to buy a house in my home town(Nagercoil, Tamil Nadu).      I will not be able to come to India in near future. I am planning to give Power(GPA) to my father/mother to purchase, maintain, patta transfer, name transfer (except selling) rights.  I have two questions

1) Can I give GPA to buy house without mentioning Survey number,location details(2 or 3 house under consideration & not finalized)?

2) Should my father/mother sign the GPA(typed document in stamp paper) before I get notrarized/attested in Sinagpore Consulate.

Also let me know if there is any recent changes in this procedure.

Thanks in Advance.


Kamaraj N 


 5 Replies

Raj Kumar Makkad (Adv P & H High Court Chandigarh)     26 February 2011

There is no change in procedure and the same is similar as told by you. Your parents can very well sign on the basis of POA issued by you in their favour on each and every document.

adv. rajeev ( rajoo ) (practicing advocate)     26 February 2011

No new changes.  it is same as it is. 

KKV (Agriculture)     27 February 2011

Dear Sir,

I gave general power of attorney to my father-in-law to buy and sell properties on behalf me some time back in 2001. Now I would like to give new POA to my in-law just to buy the properties. In that case, if new POA is registered, what will happen to the old one? Does it become invalid or nullify? or still it will be active?

Please advice asap.


Deekshitulu.V.S.R (B.Sc, B.L)     12 March 2011

When you give a new POA the old one automatically gets cancelled.

1 Like

KKV (Agriculture)     15 March 2011

Dear Sir/Madam.
My late mother own a land. Now we would like to sell the land. Me and my Sister are the childerns. My sister is giving power to me to sell the land.
My question is the Power of Attorney should be adjudicated with District Registrar eventhough we both inhereited the land or in otherwords both are being owners still I need to  adjudicated with District Registrar?
Please advice.


Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query