LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Seeking help (engineer)     10 December 2012

Forced religious conversion

This is for my sister. She is married to a Muslim guy under special marriage act. She got married in april 2010. They are living together in seperate city. None of them r in contact with their families and no question of conversion. Now she delivered a baby and both sides family are getting in touch with their own daughter/son. Its only to me she has told that now the guy is forcing her to get converted. She din't want to go for conversion and have mutually decied between each other prior to marriage. Now the guy is forcing her and threatening her to hand over the baby to him and walk off. Still my family and relatives are not aware of the issue. How can this be sorted out. What legal help can we seek.

Learning

2 Replies

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     10 December 2012

Under the Special Marriages Act, conversion is not necessary and husband and wife can belong to different religions. One party cannot force the other to get converted. Legally your sister has got the right to resist conversion of herself or the child. But if the husband resorts to extra-legal methods, it will become a criminal case and your sister will have to ask for protection. A court injunction can be brought against the husband preventing him from taking away the child.

Seeking help (engineer)     11 December 2012

thank you so much for ur reply.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register