Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

rkumar (Self Owned)     03 September 2012

Conditional will - how to?

Hello everyone.

I have a query... My grandfather wrote a conditional will on a property owned by him in Quilon, Kerala. The property is a piece of agricultural land.

The will states that the land goes to his third son (he had three sons) provided he settles down in India. His third son & family was settled and lived in England. If not, the property is to be equally divided between the other two brothers that lived in India.

All three brothers are no longer alive. The third son when he was alive verbally said, he is not interested in the property and it goes to his brothers. His family is settled in England.

A. Does the third son's legal heirs settled in England have any legal rights to this property after his death?

B. If there is no dispute, what legal procedures need followed to create documents that settle the land equally divided between the legal heirs of the other two brothers in India?

please suggest.

thank you for your time & help. ravi

Learning

5 Replies

Adv. K.S.A.Narasimha Rao (legalquestadvisor@gmail.com )     03 September 2012

Dear Ravi,

As per the condition of the Will, if third Son lives in India, he will have share, if not his other two sons, who live in india shall share the said land and in terms of the Will, the sons who were living in india will acquire the property and pursuant to their death, their children are titled to share the same.

If so far the two sons who lived in india failed to get their names mutated in the records, then their legal heirs have to file a suit for declaration of title in terms of will and being legal heirs of those two sons.

rkumar (Self Owned)     04 September 2012

Thank you for your considered response, Mr. Narasimha.

From your advise, filing a suit asking for declaration of title in terms of will settles this for the legal heirs.

Is the death certificate of the son that settled in england proof enough for the courts to act? 

Adv. K.S.A.Narasimha Rao (legalquestadvisor@gmail.com )     04 September 2012

Dear Ravi,

Yes, normally u make the legal heirs  of Third Son  as parties to the suit for declaration as respondents.

Burden lies on the legal heirs to prove that their father settled in India before his death and basing on their evidence your case depends. 

rkumar (Self Owned)     29 September 2012

Excellent answer for my situation. Thank you Mr. Narasimha. It gives me clarity and making the legal heirs of the Third son as parties makes good sense giving them an opportunity to contest and placing the burden of proof on them.

rkumar (Self Owned)     29 September 2012

Excellent answer for my situation. Thank you Mr. Narasimha. It gives me clarity and making the legal heirs of the Third son as parties makes good sense giving them an opportunity to contest and placing the burden of proof on them.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register