Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Fahd Ebrahim   06 January 2018

How to disown my biological parents/ prevent them from contacting me.

I do not wish to have any kind of relationship or contact with my biological parents and their extended family( uncles, aunts, their kids and wives). I would also like them not to contact me, my wife,my children and my wife's family in any manner right now and any time in future. My parents earn taxable income (5,00,000 - 8,00,000 INR/Year) and are not Senior Citizen/dependent on anybody. I'm not aware if there is any asset or nomination in my name as i remember signing few nomination papers when I was 14-15 years old. I'm ready to forego any kind of asset in my name and even ready to pay certain percent of my salary if they demand. What are the steps to disown them and prevent them from contacting me, my child or my wife or my wife's family?

Learning

3 Replies

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     06 January 2018

This is mostly done aboard by Estate Planning Attoney. In India you can make a deed poll or an affidavit before a Notary and disown your biological parents just like a parents disowning a son/daughter. In your case you dont want anything from your parents as such there is no problems. Also publish in leading news papers and your State official Gazette. 

Kumar Doab (FIN)     06 January 2018

It would be indeed a painful decision for parents to disown child(ren) and child(ren) to think to disown parents.

A child cannot disown parent(s).

The biological parents remain biological parents.

Per provisions of applicable personal laws if adoption is considerable in your case, consider it, and discuss with a own very able senior LOCAL counsel of unshakable repute and integrity specializing in such /civil matters and well versed with personal law that applies in your case, and  having successful track record in such matters…...

Or You can at most act as suggested by Mr. N.K.Assumi.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     06 January 2018

One line in your post is not properly drafted so as to convey a clear and correct message.

A minor/child cannot nominate. An authority should not accept nomination by minor/child.

Apparently you were nominated and you did not nominate.

In case you were nominated upon hearing from you, as suggested by Mr. N.K. Assumi, the parents/person that nominated you may change the nomination.

Or else if you are contacted to act in the capacity to nominate you can either produce the said publications or act in the capacity of  nominee and handover the proceeds/estate/property  to (other) legal heirs/successors and relinquish/release/transfer/gift  your share  to (other) legal heirs/successors…….by a registered deed....

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register