Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

chsmember   13 February 2015

Accused for misappropriation of funds by miscreants in chs

Hello,

This post is to seek appropriate advice to a case that has been alleged against my Father as 'Misappropriation of Society's Funds'. Our family has been residing in the Society since 1982. Being a banker, a due to lack of enthusiasm from other Members he has always held some post in the committee - mainly and most recently that of the Chairman. All accounts of the society and submission of periodic statements, creation of bills have also been passed through him on various occasions - due to persons like Sec. or Treasurer not performing their duties correctly all these burdens would fall on him. Since the past two years there have been new members who have coe into the society and randomly have been constantly claiming some sort of issues in the societies funds. Since their arrival they have not even paid their own dues and have piled up large outstandings against their names. 

Last year they insisted that my Father and the then Sec. Treasurer and other committee members step down and they hold fresh elections for committee members. AS a result of strong arm tactics and basically shying away of all other members from such responsibilities, the two miscreants have been appointed to the posts of Sec. & CM.

For financial and health concerns and also to avoid encountering these tyrants who have attempted to tarnish his pristine and very honourable reputation ,my Father now wishes to move out of the society. Over the last few months potential buyers have approached us and now we have found an interested buyer who has already paid a token.

When we approached the Committee members for NOC for Sale of Flat, they have been stalling saying we have some points to discuss. A friend who is also in the committee revealed to us that these new Sec. & CM are claiming that there has been misappropriation of funds to the tune of 30 Lakhs over the past 'x' years and my Father being in a high post in the committee and constantly present has been a part of this. The situation is also causing tremendous stress to my father who has had several health problems lately. Before this goes any further and the situation gets out of hand, I would like to know:

What is the proof needed for such a claim to be made and who can make such a claim?

• Is anyone allowed to directly approach the accused party with such an accusation? Does such an accusation need to be passed with approval of all committee members?
  • What is the status and law on providing NOC for sale of flat to current owner for processing agreement papers?
  • Considering all documents have been handed over several times at the request of the concerned parties for scrutiny, is it permitted for them now - that we are looking to sell the flat - to raise this kind of issue and stall our processes.
  • What is the stand that we must take when approached with such accusations?
  • What is the case that can be levied back at these miscreants on grounds of (mental) harassment, character assassination and false accusations?
  • If they may have destroyed or tarnished evidence to support their claim is there anything that can be done to rectify it? Assuming we also have past annual account statements of the society on record.

* As a note, when they learnt that our flat was up for sale they put a notice saying any persons interested in purchasing 'Specifically our flat #' must meet with Sec. & CM before going ahead with any procedures. No formal reason was given nor were we made aware of ANY issues thy had. Also the Chairman himself made a note to one of our neighbours saying that he would be interested in the purchase. Both these people have been heavily propagating and persuading other members to opt for redevelopment of the society and are hoping to push their own developers and make a quick-big-buck here.

Your timely and professional advice here would be highly appreciated as this matter is causing an emotional strain to my Father and also tension in the whole family.

Learning

6 Replies

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     15 February 2015

Please state in which State and in which city your Society is situated.

chsmember   15 February 2015

This Society is in Mumbai, Maharashtra.

Thanks

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     16 February 2015

According to you a Managing Committee member informed you that allegation of misappropriation of funds has been made in the MC meeting. So long as your father has not received any official communication from the Society or the Registrar, he can just ignore it. I believe that every year during the years your father was a Committee member in any capacity, audited annual accounts would have been submitted at the Annual General Meeting and passed by the General Body. After that no complaints can be raised against any then Committee Member. Under the byelaws amended in 2013 no NOC from the Society is required for the transfer of flats. I suggest that you act as follows: 1. You submit the attached notice of transfer from your father and the consent letter from the transferee to the Society. Try to deliver personally. If the Secretary refuses to accept or refuses to give acknowledgement, sent the letters by post Registered AD. 2. Wait for 15 days. If no reply is received from the Society you proceed with the transaction and give vacant possession of the flat to the transferee. 3. You submit documents as listed in the enclosed byelaws to the Secretary. If he refuses to accept, submit them to the Deputy Registrar of your Ward. The Registrar will take care of the rest. 4. Sleep peacefully. Please note that everything should be secretly done. Even other members should not know. Once the transferee occupies the flat it is the head-ache of the Society. I am also in Mumbai. Send me a PM if you want anything.

Attached File : 77641117 draft consent letter-.doc, 77641117 notice of transfer.docx, 77641117 transfer.pdf downloaded: 122 times

chsmember   09 March 2015

Dear Dr. Rampani. Thank you so much for your valuable time and advice. My apologies for this late response. I was travelling and had limited connectivity. As an update, the issue has reached no solution. The Sec./Chairman stated they were waiting for the committee meeting to occur and then they would give the NOC. The meeting was held today but again baseless issues about the past were brought up with no indication of any solution. Nor have they sent us a notice of the same. All of this information we have obtained through our friends in the committee. The brokers involved in the transaction have mentioned that on account of the buyers seeking a bank loan, the NOC is a must and no one can proceed without that. They also stated that any issue taken to the registrar will not take less than a year for resolution (as most legal cases do). Due to this obvious harassment on the part of these miscreants, the buyers are already apprehensive and now giving US an ultimatum for the NOC or else they back out of the deal. Considering we had to find two buyers for our two small (1RK) flats in order to make up the money to buy a larger flat (for which we also need a big loan over and above our receipts), this process is so disheartening. Hard to see my Parents (who are both Senior Citizens) go through this at this stage of their lives for no crime of theirs. Desperately seeking a light at the end of this dark tiresome tunnel. Their issues stated are: The area of our flat is 300 sq. ft. (carpet) which they claim that the buyer is stating as 350 sq. ft. - we checked with the broker and he said this is not true at all and they can

chsmember   09 March 2015

I have attached a letter we just received from the Sec. & Chairman detailing their issues. It is really disgraceful. Not sure what to do here.

Please help if possible. Thank You!

Attached File : 661126882 img.pdf downloaded: 82 times

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     10 March 2015

I have gone through the letters. The letters contain many allegations. I can suggest anything only after I know from you what the true facts are. I think you have also sent me a PM. I have replied that. I stay at Kings Circle, Mumbai.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register