LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Bharath Kumar   17 October 2015

False dowry case harassment by girl after engagement

False Dowry Case Harrassment By Girl's Father After Cancellation of Engagement (False Information/Concealing information About Girl Was The Reason) 

Brief facts of the case:
Girl's father approached us for matrimonial alliance in May 2015 claiming that she has completed her graduation (B.Tech, we have a proof of the same in email). We were looking for a girl who completed her B.Tech since I wanted her to take up job. Since the girl's father was a professor at government college, we believed them and proceeded further. Accordingly engagement was held on 10.05.2015 (no written agreement/ no exchange of rings, just that we sat next to each other that's all). 

Now after 20-25 days of the engagement when I started talking to girl on phone, I found that the truth that she hadn't even gone to college after 2nd year. She was in fact was detained from the college. She accepted the same in a text message and also claimed that she would finish those subjects soon. I am sure I would never wanted to marry such a girl had the facts been presented to me before engagement. When we asked the girl's parents about giving such false information they agreed that they had given wrong info because I was a central government employee and without such false info they would never get a guy like me for her.

Now the issue starts: I have informed to my parents, they concurred with my opinion of calling off of the engagement and they informed the same to the girl's parents. Having failed with all coercion to change our family mind, they went to police station and filed a case saying that I had taken a dowry and was then demanding additional dowry as they were not able to provide that I was calling off the engagement and getting married to someone else. They claimed that I had taken Rs 5L as dowry
(which we haven't) and for the engagement function they claimed that they bore Rs 3L. While we were ready to give Rs 1-2L as compensation for the expenses, they wouldn't listen. They are taking advantage of the fact that I am a government employee. All negotiations with them failed because they were adamant and were even in a position to force marriage in Police Station if I go there. We have been receiving calls from police from their place to attend and defend the case.

Now what can be my best option (I am a government employee), in case I want to file cheating case against them for giving me wrong info and forcing me into engagement based on such fabricated info, I also have the email of their daughter's matrimonial profile sent my them claiming B.Tech. In addition to that I also have the text messages of the girl claiming that she hasn't completed her B.Tech (sent me after the commencement of the engagement). All these evidences are sufficient for the case? Should I proceed with the case? Will their case become infructuous since they don't have any proofs for their false claims?

Your valuable opinion is requested.  

Learning

3 Replies

NATARAJAN IYER (Proprietor)     17 October 2015

The word Duress means threats, violence, constraints, or other action used to coerce someone into doing something against their will or better judgement.

First send a written complaint to the Commissioner of Police by Speed Post, Acknowledgement Due. On this, write on the top, beneath the date,

< copy marked to the Deputy Commissioner of Police > < Name of that jurisdiction for which the police is the DCP >, < Asst.Commissioner of Police >, Name of that jurisdiction for which the police is the ACP > < Inspector of Police >, < Name of that Police Station >

Send the same, as a copy to the Inspector of Police, of that police station, by Speed Post, Acknowledgement Due.

Scan the Acknowledgment Receipt issued during booking and have few photo-copies ready, along with photo-copies of your SIGNED letter to the police officers. 

This is very important.

The Police will call you. Always remember that when you are with the Police, as normal as you behave, better for you.

Do not speak loudly, Do not fight with each other there, Do not argue too much beyond normal limits, Do not speak like a goods train < continous lengthy speech >. BE NORMAL, as normal as you are when you meet your school teacher and speak to her. You are respectful yet you are casual and normal. You do not get tensed. Similarly with the Police. Do not get tensed.

But more than yourself, your parents should be given this instruction. You too should follow.

Do NOT take your mother to the Police Station.

Just you and your father.

Meet the DCP first and then meet the Inspector of Police.

This is the letter you can write and post to the Police.

RESPECTED SIR,

I AM BEING FORCED TO MARRY A GIRL WHOSE FAMILY HAS ' SUPPRESSED FACTS AND MIS-REPRESENTED FACTS ' in the matter of her EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATION and HER PERSONAL CHOICE OF A LIFE-PARTNER.

My Senior Citizen Father is already experiencing chest-pain due to such criminal behaviour openly, by some strangers who have cleverly trapped us into an engagement which is NOT legally binding upon me to get married and are now slowly but steadily, making their strategic moves, one after the other, to ensure that finally I end up getting married to their daughter.

Sir,

THEY WENT AHEAD AND TRAPPED US INTO AN ENGAGEMENT.

THE GIRL HAS CONFESSED VOLUNTARILY, TO TWO THINGS.

1) THAT HER EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATION IS NOT WHAT THEY INITIALLY CLAIMED BEFORE THE ENGAGEMENT.

2) SHE IS DEEPLY IN LOVE AND A SERIOUS AFFAIR WITH ONE OF HER FRIENDS AND UPON FINDING THAT, HER PARENTS HAVE HURRIED UP WITH THIS ALLIANCE, BY HIDING THE FACTS.

SIR, WHILE I HAVE NO EVIDENCE FOR HER SELF-ADMITTED LOVE-AFFAIR, I AM UNABLE TO PRESENT THAT STRONGLY.

BUT SIR, FOR POINT NUMBER 1, I HAVE ATTACHED ALONG WITH THIS LETTER ADDRESSED TO YOUR KIND SELF, AS ANNEXURE-1, the PHOTO-SHOT OF THE SMS SENT BY HER, confirming SUPPRESSION OF FACTS AND MIS-REPRESENTATION OF FACTS and their CRIMINAL CONSPIRACY TO CHEAT US.

SIR, BY FORCING ME TO MARRY HER, THEY ARE DARINGLY SNATCHING MY CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS.

SINCE WE ARE ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE LAW, WE HAVE COURAGEOUSLY RESISTED THEIR METHODS TO TERRORIZE US BY WAY OF DURESS.

SIR,

WE ARE LAW-ABIDING CITIZENS AND HARD-WORKING PEOPLE WITH OUR SELF-RESPECT AND DIGNITY IN LIFE, INTACT.

WE DO NOT WANT ANYBODY'S MONEY. 

BUT HOW TO BLINDLY ACCEPT THE AMOUNT THEY ARE CLAIMING, AS THE EXACT AMOUNT, SIR ?

IF THEY PRODUCE THE RECEIPTS ( TAX INVOICE ) FOR THE EXPENSE INCURRED BY THEM FOR THE ENGAGEMENT, WE ARE READY TO PAY THAT AMOUNT. 

WE DO NOT WANT ANYBODY'S MONEY.

WHILE THE OPTION OF LEGAL RECOURSE IS AVAILABLE TO EVERY CITIZEN AND TO ME TOO, IN THIS MATTER, I JUST DO NOT WANT TO PRECIPITATE THIS MATTER AND I DO NOT WANT TO PROLONG IT AS WELL.

AFTER THESE MANY BITTER INCIDENTS, I JUST WANT TO ADDRESS THE GENUINE PART OF THE FINANCES AND MOVE ON WITH MY LIFE.

WE ARE ALREADY SHOCKED AND WE DO NOT WANT ANY FRESH PROBLEMS, SIR.

BUT THEY SEEM TO HARBOUR CRIMINAL INTENTIONS OF HARMING US. 

SIR, WE DO NOT EVEN KNOW THEM.

BUT SIR, coming directly to the matter of the financials, which is their main grievance, WE ARE WILLING TO PAY THE AMOUNT INCURRED BY THEM, AS EXPENDITURE, FOR THE ENGAGEMENT, IF THEY PRODUCE APPROPRIATE TAX INVOICES TO SUBSTANTIATE THEIR CLAIMS.

SIMILARLY, THEY TOO SHOULD PAY THE AMOUNT INCURRED BY US TOWARDS THE ENGAGEMENT AND WE TOO SHALL PRODUCE TAX INVOICES TOWARDS THE SAME.

But very cleverly, in addition to CHEATING and other offences under the various sections of the law, they are now MIS-USING THE LAW AND ORDER MACHINERY OF THE STATE BY ATTEMPTING TO FALSELY IMPLICATE US IN SOME OR THE OTHER CASE.

IN ADDITION TO OUR HUGE EMBARASSMENT ALREADY CAUSED DUE TO THEIR MISCHIEF, MY ENTIRE CAREER AND LIFE, IS NOW UNDER THREAT DUE TO THEIR CRIMINAL INTENTIONS TOWARDS WHICH THEY ARE MIS-LEADING THE LEGAL SYSTEM OF THE COUNTRY AND ATTEMPTING TO MIS-USE THE LAW AND ORDER MACHINERY OF THE STATE, BY LEVYING SOME OR THE OTHER FALSE AND BASELESS ALLEGATIONS WHEN THE MARRIAGE ITSELF HAS NOT HAPPENED AND TRYING TO IMPRESS UPON THE JURISDICTIONAL POLICE TO CALL US OVER PHONE AND TRY TO SCARE US AND DAMAGE MY ENTIRE LIFE.

WE ARE VERY TENSED SIR, DUE TO SUCH MISCHIEF BY STRANGERS AND IF ANY UNTOWARD OUTCOME EMERGES DUE TO THIS, SUCH UNTOWARD OUTCOME AFFECTING OUR MENTAL, PHYSICAL AND FINANCIAL HEALTH, THEY ARE TO BE HELD SOLELY RESPONSIBLE AND LIABLE.

SIR, KINDLY GUIDE THE JURISDICTIONAL POLICE TO ACT IN THE BEST INTERESTS OF THE LAW AND PROTECT OUR CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS.

Signed/-

< Your Name >

< Your Address >

< Your Mobile Number >

Click the Photo of the Girl's SMS with a good camera and take a print of that screen-shot and title it Annexure-1 and attach it along with the complaint to all the police officers, mentioned above.

While at the Police Station, during the interrogation, REMEMBER TO KEEP REPEATING THESE TWO POINTS LISTED ABOVE AND KEEP REPEATING THAT YOU DO NOT NEED ANYBODY'S MONEY AND LET THEM PRODUCE GENUINE TAX INVOICES AND YOU WILL PAY THEM THAT AMOUNT THEY HAVE INCURRED AS EXPENDITURE TOWARDS THE ENGAGEMENT.

ALSO, REPEAT THAT YOU TOO SHALL PRODUCE GENUINE TAX INVOICES TOWARDS THE EXPENDITURE THAT YOU HAVE INCURRED TOWARDS THE ENGAGEMENT.

ASK THE POLICE TO ASK HER TO PRODUCE HER CERTIFICATES.

SHE WILL SAY SHE AND HER PARENTS MADE ALL THOSE CLEAR EVEN BEFORE THE ENGAGEMENT AND YOU AGREED AND THEN GOT ENGAGED.

THAT IS WHEN YOU SHOULD REPEAT THE POINTS 1 AND 2 ABOVE, SHOW THE SMS AND THEN RETURN TO THE POINT OF REFUND IF EACH OF YOU PRODUCE GENUINE TAX INVOICES TOWARDS THE EXPENDITURE FOR THE ENGAGEMENT.

THEN ONE OR TWO POLICE OFFICERS MIGHT TRY TO BECOME SOCIAL SERVICE EXPERTS AND MIGHT LECTURE YOU ABOUT HOW A GIRL IS A GIRL,...etc etc etc MORAL SCIENCE.

REMAIN SILENT FOR JUST TWO - THREE SECONDS AND THEN REPLY ' SIR, YOU ARE CORRECT SIR. BUT THAT IS UNDER NORMAL SITUATIONS. IN THIS CASE, IT IS CLEARLY FORCING ME TO GET MARRIED AND THIS IS THE FOUNDATION FOR A LIFE-TIME OF HELL '

THEN THE GIRL's family and some police might become VIOLENT IN SPEECH AND GIRL's SIDE MIGHT TRY TO COME NEAR YOU TO PHYSICALLY ASSAULT.

JUST REMAIN SILENT.

THEN POLICE MIGHT SAY THEY WILL FILE A CASE.

JUST REMAIN SILENT.

THEN POLICE MIGHT MAKE YOU WAIT FOR HALF A DAY OR ONE DAY.

JUST REMAIN SILENT.

AGAIN THEY WILL START.

YOU REPEAT THE REFUND PART.

THEN REMAIN SILENT.

THE OPPOSITE PARTY WILL BE LEFT WITH NO OTHER OPTION BUT TO COMPROMISE AND LEAVE.

BUT BEFORE YOU LEAVE, WRITE

' NO-DUES, WHATSOEVER FROM < YOU and Your Family to the Girl and her family > and NO-DUES, whatsoever from < THE GIRL and her Family to you and your family > and  ' AND GET THEM TO SIGN IT.

One or Two Witnesses on either side should also sign.

This NO-DUES is very important. Very Very Important. Extremely Important.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

YOU CAN NOW FLY FREE.

BE BRAVE

BE BOLD

WISH GOOD FOR ALL

DO NOT COMPROMISE, BUT BE WISE

TRUTH ALONE WINS

HAVE FAITH IN GOD

_____________________________________________________________________________________

IF YOU DOUBT THAT THE POLICE MIGHT ARREST YOU AND YOUR FAMILY, FIRST APPLY FOR ANTICIPATORY BAIL AND THEN GO TO THE POLICE STATION.

BUT DO NOT TRY TO BE SUPER-MAN.

BE PATIENT AND WISE.

IF THEY FILE A CASE AFTER ALL THESE, WITH AN ADVOCATE, FIRST GET IT SQUASHED AND THEN FILE FOR DEFAMATION AND OTHER CASES AGAINST THEM.

RELAX.

IN A MOVIE-THEATRE, YOU WATCH A HORROR SCENE. YOU WANT TO EITHER FAST-FORWARD THAT SCENE OR

DELETE THAT REEL.

BY TEARING THAT SCREEN, IT IS NOT POSSIBLE.

ONLY BY OPERATING THE PROJECTOR, YOU CAN ALTER THE SCENES.

SIMILARLY, BY SHOUTING, CRYING, ARGUING,...etc YOU CANNOT WIN THIS WAR THAT IS THRUST UPON YOU.

ONLY BY OPERATING THE PROJECTOR OF YOUR MIND, YOU CAN MOVE TO SAFETY AND TAKE YOUR FAMILY TO SAFETY.

Bharath Kumar   17 October 2015

@NATARAJAN IYER sir, thank you very very much for your kind effort sir. You've really spent so much time and effort to put all this very clearly so that even my parents can clearly understand. Thanks a lot for this sir.

In this case, I would like to mention that I am from a small town were DSP is the highest officer. Girl is from a faraway location (400Kms away). They have filed complaint at their local police station (FIR yet to be registered). 

Also the mother of the girl called my mother 20 days ago, bashed her with bad words, threatened her that if I wouldn't marry her daughter, first they will see my end, they will make sure I lose my govt job and that they would come to our house premises and commit suicide. Hearing this mother got upset which affected her health (unfortunately we didn't have the call recorded). As we were trying to solve it amicably we tried through different mediators to settle the issue by paying them the expenses they incurred. But from the beginning they are adamant to take money as they feel they won't get other guy like me with Govt job etc. They so cleverly trapped us that just within 10 days after seeing the girl they forced for the engagement citing various reasons. We had to give in to their pressure and agree. After the engagement got over and when the facts were unleashed, we still didn't want to make an issue out of this because it deals with girl's life so tried all means to solve it amicably. But they don't seem to be cared about all this now. Even when we asked the father last month about why girl was dropped out of college, he was saying some gibberish that once her benchmate committed suicide in college and the girl was affected by this and hence couldn't continue college after 2nd year (no call record of this either). It raised our suspicions more. Now even in front of the police at their place they seemed to have agreed to the fact that they had lied about her qualifications citing they wouldn't get an alliance like me if they hadn't lied and that it was not a big issue. Here I would also like to mention that she is the only child to her parents and hence the question of we demanding dowry is illogical because she will be the legal heir to whatever property they have. 

They have named all the 4 family members of our family in the complaint. Since then police have been calling us to come over to their place and attend to it. One day police himself called and said that guy and his parents need not come, his relatives can attend and that we will settle the case. Hearing this my uncle yesterday went along with his friends to settle. But as they went there again the same police and the girl's father started shouting that my father and mother should come there for which I wouldn't agree.  I will never agree to send them there because once they go there will not be any security to them. Now that they had denied for all possible peaceful negotiations, I will be moving forward as @NATARAJAN IYER sir suggested. 

I also want to know whether I should file the case myself (in my home town) or can I make it through my father (because my father stays in my town while I work in a city 250 Kms away and it would be easier for him to attend). Even though gir's family stays in some other town, they had lodged a complaint in a place where their kith and kin are staying (that's the place where engagement was held, those towns are in different districts altogether). Should I send a copy of my complaint to the PS of girl's place? If so, to the jurisdictional PS of their residence or to the PS where they have lodged the complaint? If the police from their place keep on calling us to come over there again, should we remain silent? I have already stated that FIR hasn't been registered against us at their PS yet. Can the police at their place register FIR against us for this false case without enquiring into it? What happens after they register FIR, kindly let me know? Should my complaint here would stop police over there from registering FIR? Should I take anticipatory bail immediately after I lodge the complaint or after coming to know FIR against us is registered? 

Thank you for patiently reading all this and offering me invaluable help. 

NATARAJAN IYER (Proprietor)     17 October 2015

DSP of rural is same IPS officer with rank of DCP in the urban area. ------- They cannot arrest you without a proper warrant, which they have to apply and they might not get it so easily without convincing the law. But to be on the safer side, mark a copy of the letter to your local PS too and also to the PS where they have filed the complaint. -------- By your english, it is doubtful if you are from a small town. Your english is good enough for an urbanite. ----- See, if the police calls, tell them that the distance between your place and the PS is not a small one and hence tell them that you do not get official leave and your senior citizen parents cannot travel such distances and so AS PER POLICE ACT AND CrPC, let them send a notice first and that you will reply by letter and also tell them to include all their queries in that letter to which you will answer in detail. --------- See, this jurisdictional harassment is not new trick. But if required you can apply at the court and seek transfer to nearer jurisdiction. ----------- Anyway, despite your good english, assuming that you are a genuine victim and that you are at this forum seeking genuine guidance and not for academic curiosity, here is my suggestion. ------------ In your letter, add this after Respected Sir Subject : Threat, Criminal Intimidation, Blackmail, Criminal Conspiracy, Threatening to commit suicide, Mischief in Jurisdiction of Case filing, Mental Torture, Harassing Senior Citizens, Snatching my Constitutional Rights Open your letter with the line Respected Sir, I have now submitted this prayer to your kind self since the torture of the Opposite Party has reached harassment stage with the latest being threat to commit suicide. They are now trying to force me to enter into marriage and are threatening to implicate me and my family in false cases and file FIR on fictitious and false grounds. ---------- They have now started tricks of playing with jurisdictional case filing to trouble us further by trying to file cases at far-off locations ------- Sir, Kindly help. ------- My Senior Citizen parents and myself are on the verge of mental breakdown due to heavy stress, strain and agony caused by total strangers whom we do not even know. --------- They are mis-using the Law an Order Police Force to harass us, thereby abusing the process of law and mis-using the State's Legal Machinery. -------- Sir, Kindly help. ---------- Now, say Details : ------- and type the remaining portion I highlighted in my earlier comment to your post. -------- It is always better to have an anticipatory bail on the same day that you post these letters. This is Law but operated by individuals who are humans. So you never know how things can take a turn. So always be safe. Better be safe than be sorry. All the best.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register