LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

O. Haridasan (Service)     29 November 2010

fake currency notes with common man

As common citizens, we receive notes of higher denominations from various individuals in our day today activities. It's practically impossible for us to ask each and every person to keep track of the serial numbers of such notes. In the ATMs also, we get such notes without any evidence that they have been withdrawn from a particular ATM. However, some government departments like the P&T, railways etc. insist that the customer should jot down the serial numbers of the notes in the respective applications. This is a practice followed only by some offices even within them. In one case, I requested for the instruction before jotting down the serial numbers. I brought to their attention that non-acceptance of the currency notes may be a criminal offence and I shall be free to register a FIR with the jurisdictional police station. I also informed that I shall definitely write the serial numbers on the MO form, Railway application form etc. if there are instructions in this regard from any agency of the GOI. After a lot of argument (not heated), they accepted the notes. But on other occasions, I find that arguing with them would be more time consuming than writing down the serial numbers of the bank notes. What if one of these notes is really fake without the knowledge of the customer. And why is that the departments not issuing fake currency note detectors? I was wondering how far this practice is correct?

Learning

4 Replies

kiran 11111 (Executive)     29 November 2010

I want to know what is the legal remedy in case where you accept a currancy note of higher denomination in a regular dealing and subsequentely when you tender it to some one who declares/ found ot to be fake?

In such case are you liable for possession of fake c note?

can we recopver the amoun which we loose due to fake nature of note?

Bhartiya No. 1 (Nationalist)     29 November 2010

What if the there are several notes of same serial no. then which one is genuine. Everyone is facing such type problem so, Govt. must come out with some solution, or else for common man it is very difficult to face such situations.

vinayak (Student)     23 March 2011

Hi,

I just want to know.My friend's dad had came form Dubai 8 months back & had some currency exchange form there & yestarday on dated 22nd Mar2011 he went to boan for deposit the same in the bank he got to know the notes are duplicate & the bank directly takes him to police station & then the court  & has declered S 489/b/k/34 need a emercency advice because he just 22 years & he was above to attemp his T.Y.Bcom Exam & he didnt got the approval from the court.What exact action need to be taken to get rid of it?

I know that my friend is a very innocent guy & its not his fault because there was no panchnama done i bank by police they had directly filed a case against him pls help my friend to come out of it

Thank you

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     26 March 2011

YES I ALSO FEEL HELPLESS.

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register