Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Neil Paul   01 February 2021

Domestic Violence

Hi,

I have a big neighborhood in South West Delhi District of Palam in which I am concerned about one of my neighbor because she is suffering from almost daily domestic violence. The concerned names are Mrs Savita and Mr Sumit. The husband is a drunkard and a drug addict as well. He has been living like this for like six months now in which the complete neighborhood is disturbed.
Several complaints about domestic violence and daily quarrels are been witnessed in this neighborhood. The problem arises when someone tries to defend the lady victim, She refuses to all the charges and complaints and even to report them to the local police as she is from a rural area and some belief system does not allow her to be against her husband whatsoever may happen. I am concerned about the victim’s life as she is suffering a lot and people have reported of her crying in pain till late night because of the daily routine drama of her husband getting high and beating her like a beast. I am completely out of words and it is beyond my understanding to get to her and the society doesn’t allow us to indulge ourselves in the matters of someone else.
The other problem is that she never talks to anyone, being a lady as she is supposed to indulge herself with other women of the neighborhood just like normal people. She is not doing that too. She keeps herself isolated inside the house 24x7 and only in the evening when her husband beats her brutally, do we hear her screaming.

I am afraid she might lose her life like that sooner or later. I would like to raise a voice for her. But I am not sure how to do so.

Is it possible that me along with some more neighborhood people file a complaint against her husband and stop this brutality once and for all?

Is it possible that we can help the lady even if she doesn’t want us to do so?

Learning

2 Replies

Nandini Warrier   01 February 2021

Good evening,

Domestic abuse/violence is defined as any kind of torture, be it physical, mental, verbal or economic abuse. There are many reasons for domestic violence to take place, such as

• envy,
  • the need to be dominant and powerful of the two,
  • financial issues,
  • alcoholism and so on.

The Protection of Women against Domestic Violence Act, 2005 aims to protect any woman that falls under the ambit of being domestically abused. Any person can file on behalf on the aggrieved person, against the perpetrator. This act provides various sets of reliefs to the victim, since no person is supposed to live in fear in their own home. Any action that is against the Protection act, such as any injury or mental agony caused by abuse, will be punishable by imprisonment, or fine of twenty thousand rupees, or both, under Section 31 of the act.

Violence against women is also considered as a violation of basic human rights. Section 498 of the Indian Penal Code condemns domestic violence as a crime, and violation of it will lead to imprisonment for up to three years. 

Sometimes victims fear to approach the police, or press charges against the perpetrator because of fear of increased abuse within the walls of their own home. If neighbours are witnessing such an act, they can approach the police with a written complaint regarding the issue. The police will have to look into it, regardless of who complains, the victim or a neighbour. Neighbours can also contact a doctor to take care of the victim, once the police authorities have arrived and inspected the situation. It is advised that the neighbour themself not involve in the situation, since there can be harm inflicted on them. Neighbours can prevent domestic violence by reporting it to the respective authority about it. 

Hoping for the best there,

Regards,

Nandini 

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     02 February 2021

Make an oral complaint to a local Voluntary organization that helps such women.  They may send a team to investigate and they are aware of the proper procedure to stop such violence against women and have such influential machinery to help them.   Strangers interference complicate the issue in other's family.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register