does a daughter has right in parents property after marriage

Does a daughter has right over her original parents property after marriage?

As per Hindu law, a daughter has right over the ancestral property.  If the property is self-acquired by father or mother or jointly purchased, during his/her lifetime no one can claim it.


Suppose daughter is married. Her original parents are alive. Parents have two sons who are doing job. On what situation daughter can claim right over her ancestral property?


Originally posted by : Sachin Agarwalla
Does a daughter has right over her original parents property after marriage?

How you are concerned with this question paper ?

What is your locus standi ?

What do you mean by the statement, "Original parents.." ?..

Retired employee.

Daughter is having such rights by birth like the sons.  Her status is not material.  Both sons and daughters irrespective of their status are entitled to an equal share in the property of parents in absence of a will.   If the parents are alive, and if the property is self-acquired by the parents, they have every right to bequeath or write a will as they like.   That means the self-acquired property can be decided by the acquirer in any way he wants, including a donation to charitable institutions also..  In such cases to avoid disputes at a later stage, parents that have self-acquired the property bequeaths the property to sons through a registered will and routinely mentions that they have performed the marriage of their daughter and her needs were well taken care of and she is now married, etc.


A lease hold property purchased for lease price Rs1200/- in 1966 from Govt Odisha by my father died intestate in 2002 leaving behind legal heirs myself (son), 3 married daughters living in rich family and widow wife.

In 2011 the above 3 married sisters and widow mother relinquished the above property in my favour by executing registered deed mentioning out of free will in deed and signing on the deed in front of Govt Camera and Sub Registrar.

On the basis of above registered relinquished deed and premium of Rs1500000/- paid by me to Govt as conversion fee from lease hold to free hold, the Government Odisha issued Patta ROR in my favour in 2012 as sole owner of the property with all reversionary rights.

The sisters have taken Rs3000000/- in cash from me by hook or by crook by exploiting fraternal emotions.

Now, in 2020 above 3 married sisters are demanding exorbitant money from me or else threatening me to sue me in court of law and cancel the registered relinquished deed.

Can a registered relinquished deed executed in 2011 out of free will be cancelled in 2020 by 3 executants (sisters) when the other executant (my widow mother) and the beneficiary (myself) do not give consent for cancellation and also in view of issue of Patta ROR by Government in my favour as sole owner with all reversionary rights and duly converting propertyromrom lease hold to free hold on receiving Govt conversion fee Rs1500000/- from me including conducting bonafide verification of the relinquished deed and not obtaining any complaint within due time of Government notification?

Your valuable jurisprudence on the matter is highly solicited.

Mobile no.9692089815
Retired employee.


Your case is different with the facts opened and operated by  Mr.Sachin.

A member is not supposed to post his new problem with different facts in a thread/post already opened by some one.

Please open a new post immediately.

The forum members can only give first aid and where scrutiny of facts and documents are required, it is always proper to contact local advocate.


"Original Parents!" - The query is based on conceptual misunderstanding.


Yes original parents.




Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  


  Search Forum



IPC Grand Course     |    x