LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Shree. ( Advocate.)     23 April 2008

Do you know these????????????

What is First Information Report (FIR)?
The report pertaining to occurrence of a cognizable offence, received at the Police Station is called First Information Report, popularly known as FIR. Since it is the first information about the cognizable offence, it is called First Information report. On receipt of this information police registers the report in a FIR Register and begins the investigation of the crime.
Is the complainant entitled to a free copy of the FIR?
Yes, definitely. As per Criminal Procedure Code (Cr.PC) it is mandatory on the part of police to provide a copy of the FIR, free of cost to the complainant.
What is cognizable Offence?
In Cr. PC, the offences are divided into two categories; one Cognizable and the other Non-cognizable. Police is empowered to register the FIR and investigate only the cognizable offences. Police can arrest an accused involved in cognizable crime without the warrant from the court.
What is Non-cognizable Offence?

The category of offences as per Cr. PC in which Police can neither register the FIR nor can investigate or effect arrest without the express permission or directions from the court are known as Non-cognizable offences. These mostly include minor offences such as abusing each other, minor scuffles without injuries, intimidation etc.
What to do if the Police Station refuses to register the FIR?
Police can refuse to register the FIR only in non-cognizable offences. In all cognizable offences it is mandatory on the part of the police station to register the FIR. However, if the Police Station refuses to register the FIR, a complaint shall be made to the senior police officer. The complaint can be made to the Concerned Circle Officer, Addl. SP or the Superintendent of Police of the concerned District. These officers will get the FIR registered and investigated.
What the Police Station does with a complaint pertaining to Non-cognizable offence?
As per Cr. PC, Police Station is required to record an abstract of such complaint in the General Diary and advise the complainant to file the complaint in the concerned court as police is not empowered to initiate action in such matters without the directions of the court. A copy of the entry made in the General Diary may be provided to the complainant free of cost.
Are any kind of fee or charges to be paid to police for registration of FIR?
Absolutely not. Police is not to be paid any fee or money for registering the FIR and subsequent investigation. If anybody in the police station makes such a demand, a complaint should immediately be made to the senior police officer as mentioned above.
Are any kind of fee or charges to be paid for getting the injured medically examined or for putting up challan in the court?
No, the entire investigation of the case, including the medical examination of the injured and submitting challan in the court, is part of Government duty for which no charges are levied by the govt. If any demand for money is made at any stage of investigation, a complaint should immediately be made to the senior police officers.
What is a bailable offence?
In bailable offences police is supposed to take the bail of the accused arrested in such offences.
What is a non-bailable offence?
In non-bailable offence, police invariably does not take the bail of the accused and only the court grants bail. The list of bailable and non-bailable offences is given in one of the schedules of Criminal Procedure Code.
Can Police call someone for investigation even if granted anticipatory bail by the court?
Yes, certainly. The court only forbids the arrest but does not prevent police from calling the accused for investigation. Infact, invariably it is one of the conditions of the anticipatory bail that the accused shall make himself available for investigation as and when required by the investigating officer. Refusal to do so may entitle the investigating officer to move the court for cancellation of anticipatory bail. In case the investigating officer finds that a criminal case is made out against an accused granted anticipatory bail by the court, he will not arrest him but will release him on bail, even if the offence is non-bailable.
Is it an offence to register false FIR?
Making any kind of false complaint including the FIR is a punishable offence in the Indian Penal Code. One should never resort to lodging a false complaint to the police in order to harass someone. This act is not only punishable but the complainant himself will have to undergo the harassment of facing a trial in the court.
Why Police does not remove encroachments from public lands when complained about it?
Police is not empowered to remove encroachments from public lands under any law. It is the job of the agency entrusted with the administration of the land, such as Gram Panchayat in case of Panchayat land, revenue authorities like Tehsildar in case of revenue land, Municipalities in case of urban land, PWD in case of roads etc. The job of the police is to provide police assistance for maintaining law and order when sought by such agencies.
Why Police does not remove Liquor shops when public complains about such shops?
There are two kinds of liquor shops; one licensed by the State Excise Department and second not licensed by the State Excise Department. Police is empowered to take legal action against only those liquor shops, which run without a valid license from the State Excise Department. Only the State Excise Department is authorized to take any action including the cancellation of license of the licensed shops.
What is preventive arrest?
Police is empowered to arrest a person when it is satisfied that doing so is essential in order to prevent occurrence of a cognizable offence. This is the most common situation in which police effects a preventive arrest. Police can also make preventive arrests under special Laws such as National Securities Act, PITNDPS etc. against dreaded criminals.


 8 Replies

SANJAY DIXIT (Advocate)     23 April 2008

Thanks for the info. Really helpful for all.

s.sivakumar (advocate)     27 April 2008

It is very nice and very usefull for those are very new to the legal proffession

A.Mohamed Thaheer (ADVOCATE)     12 April 2009

These types of information in this forum will under estimate the prestige of the legal profession, as every lawyer should know basically what is FIR provided he is thorough with Cr.P.C.

Shree. ( Advocate.)     12 April 2009

Dear Md.Thaheer Sir,

This Post will definitely benefit the society,more to common public and law students.. Please Dont think like under estimating our Proffession ,Becoz more Public were benifitting from this website by getting various legal aspects.

Swami Sadashiva Brahmendra Sar (Nil)     12 April 2009

this article very useful specially for the students .

kirankumar (Part time Employee/ student of BL)     28 May 2009

Thanks for the information

Arun Krishnan (Student)     02 August 2009

Thanks for the post

Ria (Legal)     28 February 2011

In my opinion Petty cases should be actually handled by the police, instead of burdening the already heavily burden court with such litigations, such cases can be solved at the local level by the police. Also approaching the court would amount waste of time money of the aggrieved person that is a huge amount needs to be spent in appointing a lawyer, drafting the case and filing it, then approacing the magistrate for order.

In a nutshell a petty case that can be solved by the local police when there is prima facie evidence, asking the aggrievd person to appraoch a magistrate would only increase the aggrieved persons problems.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register