LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Prema   25 June 2019

Divorce and partition of joint property

My wife has filed for divorce, she had extramarital affair as i worked away from india. She stole cash and deposited in her simgle bank account without my knowledge She also stole gold and other cash total of 25 lakh. She took my son away to a foriegn country. I live in india i am indian. she is european and my son passports was changed from indian to european. She is asking for maintenance and alimony. I have added her name to my residential apartment. I have proofs of her extramarital affair. And she not taking care of child. Will family court decide the about the flat in joint name which i am living in and which i paid for. Or will civil court will decide. I live in the apartment i dont want to sell. What happens in civil court

Learning

1 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     26 June 2019

In such a situation, preparation and collection of evidence before you take any step is very important, as the burden of proof will fall upon you. Moreover, if you fail to prove your case, you may find yourself in more trouble than you already were.

The Hindu Marriage Act (HMA) under Section 13(1)(i) and the Special Marriage Act (SMA) under section 27(1)(a) have mentioned in a very precise manner, that any marriage may be dissolved by a decree of divorce on filing of a petition by you on the ground that your husband or wife has, after the solemnization of the marriage had voluntary s*xual intercourse with any person other than you.

“The philosophy underlying the scheme of these provisions appears to be that as between the husband and the wife social good will be promoted by permitting them to ‘make up’ or ‘break up’ the matrimonial tie rather than to drag each other to the criminal court. They can either condone the offence in a spirit of ‘forgive and forget’ and live together or separate by approaching a matrimonial court and snapping the matrimonial tie by securing a divorce. They are not enabled to send each other to jail. Perhaps it is as well that the children (if any) are saved from the trauma of one of their parents being jailed at the instance of the other parent.”

Therefore, you can either fix your relationship with your spouse if he or she has been involved in an extra marital affair, or you may opt for the remedies provided by the personal law under which your marriage has been solemnized.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register