IBC Code: Complete Overview and Drafting Workshop. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ashok Adabatthula   13 October 2020


How can a wife who applied for divorce in a court proves that her husband is in a relation/affair with a other woman even the other woman and husband are denying the claim.


 1 Replies

Nicole Gomez (Student )     14 October 2020


Being in an extra marital affair or committing adultery is a ground for divorce. However, it is essential that the spouse prepares and collects evidence before taking any action as the burden of proof will fall upon them and proving the same in Court may be tricky. Moreover, if one is unable to prove the same, the opposing party accused of committing adultery with the spouse can file a case for defamation.     

Since it is very difficult to obtain direct evidence in a case of an extra marital affair, circumstantial evidence is sufficient. Some evidences can be:

  • Birth of an illegitimate child or paternity test report of a child, etc.
  • Contraction of a venereal disease by the unfaithful spouse.
  • Witnesses, photographs and videos proving the extra marital affair. However, ensure to obtain these solely for the purpose of evidence, without violating any law of the land at the time.
  • Confession of the spouse to committing adultery.
  • Whatsapp or text messages and emails that came to your knowledge or possession.

Recently, the Apex Court passed a judgement which decriminalized adultery which was earlier an offence under Section 497 of the Indian Penal Code, 1860. The court stated that the section was unconstitutional, arbitrary in nature and violated the principles of gender equality enshrined under Articles 14 and 15(3). But this does not change the fact that committing adultery is a ground for civil issues such as for divorce.

Hope this helps with your query.


Nicole Gomez

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query