Civil Procedure Code (CPC)

40 years of tenancy

We have a property in Gujarat. The property is on ground floor and has one separate room we call office.
About forty two years ago we had tenant who occupied the whole area and they had kept a lodger. The tenants moved out but the lodger remained in office room and paid us a small rent. Initially he gave us in writing that he will move out whenever we request that. Can we now legally get him out if he does not want to leave, after forty years ? His grown up sons have their own flat where the tenant spend most of the time and eats but still comes to the office a few ahours every week to retain occupancy.

I am an NRI and want the property to sell it as vacant.  Previously I had asked the tenant but the price was out of his range and now its completely out.

Please advice quickest options.

civil practice

You may be calling it office but what is the use by tenant.If he is using as residence,you can get him vacated as he is having alternative accommodation. You will have to file suit.

Total likes : 1 times



  The room has always been used as a residence  He arrived as a young single man and then got married after a couple of years in that room and  raised a family until the grown up children left to set their own flats and daughter go married and  went to live with her husband. The tenant then  became a widower . 

Hence he stays with one of his sons and now uses the room as a resting area occasssionally sleeping there in the  afternoon once or twice a week and simply collects mail and keeping a foothold. 


Try to settle personally very defficult thorugh legal process for eviction.




Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  


  Search Forum



Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query
Civil Litigation Course     |    x