LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Dilshad Merchant   06 October 2021

Bank Loan

I and my husband had taken loan of 1 lakh rupees each from a bank 2 years back. The loan was being repaid in monthly installment. But last year due to complete Lockdown and no source of income, the loan was pending.
Out of 2 lakh only 61000 is pending.
My husband expired 3 months back. Now I am left completely helpless with my two children. I am a housewife and have no source of income.
I have mentioned all this in a letter to the bank and asked them to waive off the balance amount. But they are not giving me any reply in writing.
I further asked the bank manager to atleast waive off interest on the balance loan amount so that I could pay the balance in installment. The manager said that interest cannot be waived off.
Now I would like to know what drastic steps can the bank take against me in this case ?
What should I do to avoid legal hassles ?

Learning

4 Replies

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     06 October 2021

You shall pay the amount (at least more than half of the instalment) in instalments to avoid legal complications. If you have not paid the amount regularly bank will take necessary action and the guarantors/surities will also suffer because of you.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     07 October 2021

The bank is helpless, as the money advanced to you belongs to the public, and they do not have the power to write off such a loan.  You can request them for rescheduling in easy installments in view of your difficulty.

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     07 October 2021

Request bank manager to reschedule your pending loan. It is not a criminal offence to default on loan repayment. “Loan default is generally a civil wrong, except in cases where there is fraudulent or dishonest intention on the part of the borrower at the time of availing the loan,

H.JanakiManohar Rao (lawyer)     07 October 2021

You have not mentioned what type of loan you have taken.Most of the loans especially housing loan is protected by insurance through bank.Pl.find out.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register