LIVE Course on Transfer Property Law | Price Hike in 4 days | Grab it now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Amit Shirke Patil   17 May 2020

Section 498 A

मेरी पत्नी मेरे घर मे झगडा करके अपने मायके गई, और बोल के गई है की, 498 A का केस करनेवाली है,
मेरा गाव महाराष्ट्र राज्य के अहमदनगर जिल्हे के कर्जत तहसील मे आता है,
उसका मायका महाराष्ट्र राज्य के पुणे जिल्हे के मावळ तहसील मे आता है,
हम दोनो के घरो के बीच 200 km का अंतर है, मै इसके बारे मे नीचे की जानकरी दिजीए !

1. मेरी पत्नी अगर 498A की केस करेगी तो कहा करेगी ? उसके मायके या ससुराल

2. अगर वो अपने मायके के यहा के पोलीस स्टेशन मे केस करेगी तो वो केस मुझे अपने जिल्हे मे ट्रान्सफर करनी आयेगी क्या ?


 7 Replies

Nadeem Qureshi (Advocate/     17 May 2020

अमित जी 

अगर आपकी पत्नी थोड़ी भी समझदार है तो वो केस अपने मायके के एरिया में करेगी और वो केस आपको वहीँ लड़ना पड़ेगा अगर आप चाहते है कि केस आपके जिले में ट्रान्सफर हो जाए तो यदि आप दोनों एक ही प्रदेश के हो तो आप हाई कोर्ट में ट्रान्सफर पिटिसन, अगर आप दोनों अलग अलग प्रदेश के हैं तो सुप्रीम कोर्ट में ट्रान्सफर पेटिसन दाखिल कर सकते है लेकिन उसके जितने के चांस बहुत ही कम हैं 


आप चाहें तो फ़ोन पर संपर्क कर सकते  हैं 

Amit Shirke Patil   17 May 2020


Thanks Sir

Amit Shirke Patil   17 May 2020

Thanks Sir


Dear Sir,

The alleged incident occurred in your jurisdiction as such police station of her jurisdiction cannot register FIR AGAINST you. Please give my LIKE if my answer satisfied you.


How to seek protection against Section 498a IPC?

It has however been seen that Indian laws have several loopholes that need to be identified. Below is a list of legal remedies that one can use for protection against section 498a IPC if a woman decides to misuse the law and threatens to register a false case against you for personal gains.

  • Collect all Evidence & Documents: The first step in proving a false accusation would be to gather all substantial material elaborating well on the 498a case details. You must start collecting as much evidence as possible, which includes: 
    • Any conversation between you or your family member with your wife or her relatives like any SMS, emails, letters, call recordings, etc. 
    • Any evidence that proves that your wife moved willingly out of your house.
    • Any evidence that shows no demands for dowry were made before or after the wedding
  • Get an Anticipatory Bail: If you think your wife may file an FIR under Section 498A, hire a criminal defense lawyer and get an anticipatory bail to prevent yourself or your family member’s arrest. Anticipatory bail is like a precautionary bail in case police move ahead to arrest you or your family members. You can file for anticipatory bail for protection against section 498a IPC case under Section 438 of CrPC[1].
  • Get the 498a FIR Quashed: You can also get the false 498A FIR quashed by High Court under Section 482 of CrPC. Courts are generally reluctant to quash an FIR or interfere in the law and order process, but if you have sufficient proof, the court has the power to quash the false 498A FIR filed by your wife.
  • File an FIR against your wife for false 498A complaint: You can also file an FIR against your wife for blackmailing or filing a false 498A case against you. Police in India usually do not favor such FIR, but if you make your case foolproof, the police cannot deny you to file an FIR against your wife. Get your complaint drafted by a good criminal lawyer so that the police cannot reject it on any grounds. If the police refuse to register your FIR, you can file a written complaint against the police officer, with the Superintendent of that police station.
  • File a case for Restitution of Conjugal Rights: If your wife has left her matrimonial home and went back to live with her family, you can file a case for RCR i.e. restitution of conjugal rights against your wife under Section 9 of Hindu Marriage Act(2). You can mention all the terms and conditions that she’ll have to follow to start living with you once again.
  • File a defamation case against false 498A case: You can also file a defamation case against your wife for maligning your image by filing a false 498A case against you. 

While fighting the 498a case, the duration of the case will depend largely on the evidence produced before the court and how efficiently your lawyer fights in the court representing your case.

Misuse of Section 498

Here in India, you will often come across the phrase - “Log kya kahenge” (i.e. what will people say?), which somehow finds more value than what one is subjected to bear when it comes to registering a police complaint or even fighting a court case. 

While we all have heard people saying, “Men deserve this treatment” especially after all the things they have done to society and the disrespect they have shown to women, the public opinions play a great role of significance especially in a democratic or patriarchal society like ours. 

With so many cases coming up under this section, it’s alarming to see the rate at which false allegations are rising, after the fallout of marriage or any relationship due to insecurities a woman feels, with the fear of being rejected. 

Section 498A instantly offers an umbrella of protection to women, while putting the husband and his family behind bars, with immediate effect. However, over time, understanding the frequent misuse of this section has led the Law to amend it and today, the husband or his family do not have to bear the shame in society, in case of false accusations.

Ways to ease the blow of a 498A case

There are some easy to follow ways, where not every time men can be blackmailed against these laws. Section 498a punishment may state that if a husband or relatives/family of the husband are found to subject the wife to cruelty, then they will be imprisoned for a jail term of three years with a liability to fine.

However, the law which is meant to protect women, if misused then a new set of directions has been implemented by the Supreme Court to prevent this from happening. 

According to the recent order, “Every complaint under Section 498A received by the police or the Magistrate be referred to and looked into by such committee. Such a committee may have interaction with the parties personally or by means of telephone or any other mode of communication including electronic communication. Report of such committee is given to the Authority by whom the complaint is referred to it the latest within one month from the date of receipt of the complaint. The committee may give its brief report about the factual aspects and its opinion on the matter. Till report of the committee is received, no arrest should normally be effected. The report may be then considered by the Investigating Officer or the Magistrate on its own merit.”

The Supreme Court had issued certain guidelines for the enforcement authorities for dealing with 498A cases in India which are: 

  • In every district, 1 or more Family Welfare Committees must be established by the District Legal Services Authorities to deal with cases filed under Section 498A.
  • All complaints under Section 498A IPC received by the police or Magistrate must be sent to the committee. 
  • The committee must look into the matter and send a report on it within 30 days to the authority that referred the complaint.
  • No arrest must be made until a report is sent by the committee.
  • If an anticipatory bail for 498A is filled with one day’s notice, it must be decided within that time frame only.
  • Personal appearance of all family members may not be required in court and appearance by video conferencing must be allowed for outstation family members.

Rights Guaranteed

If a woman has been harassed for dowry or threatened for the same, before, during or after marriage, her husband, his family or in-laws can be subjected to punishment under the dowry act, 498a and even Section 304a, (in case her life has been threatened). 

Yet, despite the lack of legal protection against section 498A IPC case, there is a list of sections which we have identified for you, which might be helpful in this case, if you wish to file a counter case against your wife such as: 

  • If your wife is conspiring a crime against you, then under Section 120B IPC, you can file a case against her. 
  • If you suspect that false evidence is being framed or presented against you then under Section 191 IPC, you can file a case alleging that you are being framed wrongfully.
  • Man being a social animal, reputation is everything for him. So if she threatens you to defame or falsely drag you and your family to court, you can file a counter case of defamation under Section 500 of IPC.
  • In a situation where your wife threatens you to do harm to you or your family or anything related to you, gather the evidence and present it to court under Section 506 of IPC.
  • If you believe that the complaint registered by your wife is false you can file an application under Section 227 stating that the 498A case filled by your wife is false. 
  • If you have enough proofs, or if she does not have enough proof to substantiate the charges, chances are that the judge just dismisses the 498A case as it is a framed one.
  • If she breaks into your home, creates a scene, and goes to a 'protection officer' and lies that you abused her 'physically, emotionally, or economically', file a damage recovery case under Section 9 of CPC against her. 

Legally, you must issue notice on the same day or the next day. The suit will continue for a long time. It has no risk.

The Indian courts and enforcement authorities have become vigilant in dealing with cases regarding Section 498A due to an increasing number of false cases. However, if you are a victim who needs protection against section 498a IPC case, then you should be aware of all your legal rights and use them. 

Please CLICK LIKE and follow me if you feel my answer  helped you

1 Like

Amit Shirke Patil   17 May 2020

मेरी बिवी ने मायके मे जाकर गर्भपात की दवा खाकर 2 महिने का गर्भ गिरा दिया है, ये जाणकारी मुझे उसने दी, जिसने उसे गर्भपात की दवा लाकर दी थी, जब मैने बिवी से पुछा की, गर्भ क्यो गिराया तो वो बोली, चूप बैठो और मुझे वो बच्चा नहीं चाहीये था, क्योंकी हमारा पहला बच्चा अभी 1 साल का है, तो मैने उसे पुछा कम से कम डॉकटर के पास जाती तो वो बोली, डॉकटर की कोई जरूरत नही थी इसलीये मैने खुद दवा खाकर गर्भपात किया, और मुझे बोली चूप बैठो नहीं तो 498 A का केस डालुंगी,
1. क्या उसे गर्भपात करने के लिए डॉक्टर के पास जाने की सच मै जरूरत नहीं थी क्या?
2. क्या उसने जो किया यह क्रूरता हो सकती है क्या? और मुझे इस वजह से उससे divorce मिल सकता है क्या?
3. पोलीस स्टेशन मे मुझे मेरी पत्नी और जिसने दवा लाकर दी, उसके खिलाफ केस फाईल करणी आयेगी क्या, और आयेगी तो कौन से कानून के माध्यम से?

Amit Shirke Patil   17 May 2020

मै कोई झुटे आरोप नहीं कर रहा हु, क्योकी जीस दिन मेरी पत्नी घर छोडकर अपने मायके गई उस दिन उसके माँ, भाई ने हमारे घर इतना बडा हंगामा किया की, उसी रात मेरे पिताजी ने फाशी लगाकर आत्महत्या की, मेरे परिवार को इतना बडा झटका लगा की, मेरी माँ अब भी सदमे मे है, मेरे पिताजी ने 25 एप्रिल को अपनी जान दी, मेरी बिवी को ये जाणकारी हमने दी, फिर भी वो नहीं आयी,
मेरे परिवार मे मेरी माँ और मै हम दोनो ही है, तो मुझे डर लगा रहता है की वो केस करेगी, इसी कारण मै आपसे जाणकारी लेना चाहता हु,

P. Venu (Advocate)     17 May 2020

While action for divorce or maintenance could be filed by the wife at her presnt place of residence, a criminal action under Section 498A IPC could be initiated only at eh jurisdiction where the offence had occured partly or wholly.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query