Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

RIYAZ G R (NIL)     14 June 2014

Unreserved category-religion important?

Dear Sir/ Mam,

This is Riyaz. Basically I was an Hindu until recently I got converted to Islam. I don't have any Government Documents stating that I got converted to Islam because I only changed my name in the Government Gazette. Now I applied for a Govt. Exam under "Unreserved Category" and as I don't have any documents showing that I belong to Islam, I simply gave my Religion as "NIL". But that Govt., agency's Recruitment Department Officials said that my candidature can't be accepted as specifying my Religion is mandatory. I explained them as per certificates I belong to Hinduism but now I profess Islam and that's the reason why I didn't specify my Religion . I also told them that it's only Unreserved Category. But they said they can't help me.

I don't know what to do. Is it mandatory to specify our religion under General (or) Unreserved Category?

Learning

7 Replies

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     14 June 2014

Why donot you mention Islam, when you have adopted? It is required to be given. 

RIYAZ G R (NIL)     14 June 2014

Yeah you are right Sir, but I just want to know whether it is necessary to specify our religion under General Category or not.

Laxmi Kant Joshi (Advocate )     14 June 2014

Yes , it is necessary to mention your religion for any of the category you belong .

Biswanath Roy (Advocate)     14 June 2014

You shall have to disclose present status of your religion. It is must.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     15 June 2014

Disclosure of religion is mandatory requirement, it cannot be ignored for the reasons at your will.  Since you have stated that you have converted and profess Islam, what is the problem in you getting a certificate to that effect form the religious authorities?

G. Y. Sharma (Advocate)     16 June 2014

Dear Mr. Riyaj,

I don't think that you have converted to the islam religion by fully completing the formalities contemplated there for. There is certain procedure prescribed in each and every religion for a person to convert. Just by getting the name changed and published in the Gazette, the task is not over. It is not clear from your query that whether you have approached any prophet to convert your religion to The Islam. Keeping this discussion as it may, I am not able to understand why you are thinking so much about mention of religion in the application form. If you are so confident that you have converted into the Islam religion, you are at liberty to mention the same in all your events and applications as has been opined by my learned brother-advocates. This is not at all an issue to be placed before experts. Try to understand. Govt's policies and procedures can not be overtaken otherwise than by due process of law. I f you are still so particular about mention/non-mention of religion in the application form, challenge the matter under the writ jurisdiction.

RIYAZ G R (NIL)     16 June 2014

Dear Sirs

Thank You so much for your reply. I clearly understood . Hereafter I will specify my Religion as Islam and will show The Converted Certificate from my Mosque as Proof.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register