LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     16 September 2009

Demeaning

We are not only insensitive. We deman ourselves. This happened and the magistrate followed the law.

'Questions were meant to demean me'
16 Sep 2009, 1638 hrs IST
In what is a double nightmare for a 23-year British woman, after being allegedlly molested in Gujarat, she had to endure further humiliation during the proceedings in the court. 

Kaya Enrich was allegedlly molested by a plumber who had come to their apartment to repair a shower. Her efforts to get justice turned out to be another ordeal as she was humiliated in an open court and ridiculed by the Defence Lawyer, Sanjay Prajapati. 

The alleged molestation victim said, "Humiliation in court was as bad as s*xual assault. Questions in court were aimed at demeaning me." 

The victim's lawyer, Meena Jagtap, said, "Kaya knows only English and she was not provided a translator. She was humiliated in the court. Everyone was laughing at her. Even the defence lawyer was also laughing. The accused was also laughing." 

Speaking on the questions her client was asked, Jagtap said, "Irrelevant questions were asked. The questions were like whether my client takes a bath or nor, if she smokes or takes liquor, about the distance between her house and her work place."

Learning

1 Replies

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     16 September 2009

What action should be taken against the magistrate for allowing the demeaning questions to be put and all round laughter in the court room? Sack?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register