Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

PRINCE (Employed)     18 April 2015

Demand of legal heir certificate by sbi for home loan

Dear Sirs,

My Father and mother jointly had taken a home loan from State Bank of India, perumbavoor, Kerala in the year 2009 and bought a house in same area registered in my mothers name. Unfortunately, my father expired few months back. The account from which the EMI was being deducted for home loan was also jointly held by my mother and father and therefore EMI is being deposited to bank without any interruption till date. As the home loan interest rate had been drastically being charged more on us @12% (as compared to the prevailing rates of 10.1%), we approached the bank to reduce it to 10.1% by paying an amount of Rs 8000 as per existing bank rules. On intimating about my fathers death they demanded that a Legal Heir certificate has to be submitted to the bank in order to transfer the home loan in my mother 's name. Not only that me alongwith my brother have also been asked to be present in the bank for the transfer of loan formality.

My doubt is that, in the event of death of my father, why do we need to transfer the loan to my mother's name when the loan was in joint possession of my father and mother

Is it correct on the part of the Bank to demand for a legal heir certificate? Will not a notarized affidavit serve the purpose?

I need your valuable guidance on the legality of this issue.

please reply.

Waiting for your support

Learning

10 Replies

saravanan s (legal advisor)     19 April 2015

the bank is right in asking for a legal heir certificate and its better to follow their instructions

prabodh kumar patel (advocate)     19 April 2015

Legal heir Certificate is necessary.

slakshmanrao (accounts officer)     19 April 2015

Dear Sir,Even after getting the legal heir certificate from the relevant judiciary,in some cases the Bankers seek for the State Gazette also...The procedure is taking more time,to comply with the Banking Instructions...The point is during the transitional periods,the liabity is found to be increasing...Fact for the kind notice of the Judiciary for further examination...

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     19 April 2015

Has the Bank got insurance in the name of your father, as it is mandatory in some banks to get the insurance, so that the loan repayment is assured out of insurance amount, and also it may not be a burden on those, who are dependents and may not be able to repay the loan in the  event of death of a bread earner ?

With due respect to the professional legal advisers, I got my own doubts in such joint accounts, and when property was registered in joint names.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     29 April 2015

The bankers are given blanket permission by their head office to enforce any such legal measure to recover the outstanding loans lest the bank will be running in trouble to recover amount from the kin of the deceased borrower.  In the instant case, the Manager can use his discretion and oversee certain formalities by waiving the requirement of legal heirship certificate by obtaining indemnity bond from the legal heirs. It again depends how much the Bank Manager is likely to undergo the risk or his efficiency in handling the loan issues.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     29 April 2015

Are you sure that it is legal heir certificate, which can be obtained within a day from Tehasildar, as it is just showing the names of legal heirs.

If it is not succession certificate you can rest assure.

First try with Tehasildar of your jurisidction and he will give only a certificate that so and so has expired and his legal heirs names are as follows and mentions relationship.

It is so easy to obtain, only an official visits and makes inquiries.

The bank is proper in insisting other dependents to join for execution of further documentation, as they are legal heirs and responsible for repayment of the debt.

Believe a Banker, he can not do any harm to you.

slakshmanrao (accounts officer)     30 April 2015

Legal Heir Certificate required by the Bankers is well reconciled.When this aspect is completed, the need  for a Gazette Notification only is not known...slakshmanrao3@gmail.com

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     30 April 2015

In the post, Bank has never demanded this "Gazetted notification" any where.

slakshmanrao (accounts officer)     30 April 2015

If the Gazette Notification is not insisted upon,over and above the legal documents,there will be no issues.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     30 April 2015

The problem is contributor posts keeping some thing in mind and assume, and never revert back as to whether guidance was useful or how  he matter was settled.  Only if certain feed back is given, it helps all others to learn some thing of his own experience and follow up.

I appreciate if contributor finds useful suggestion, instead of posting his decision, allowing other members to continue their posts, though he never cares to look into such posts.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register