LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Gunja   09 December 2021

Deceased father's transfer to his daughter

My father signed a few blank cheques for me during his last days when he was going through his Cancer treatment. He signed it in advance so that if anything happens to him, atleast his only young daughter (me) has some security amount..His chemo went on for a few months & we all forgot about applying cheque in the bank..Since he'd mentioned date in cheques too & it's been months & months to that..How can I redeem that amount now?


 1 Replies

Aryan Raj   08 January 2022

In response to your query,

When a person dies, his/her legal heirs get all of his assets, including any balances in their bank accounts. As a result, even if a cheque was signed before the person's death, a bank will refuse to cash it if it is offered for payment after the person's death. 

The Hindu Succession Act, 1956 is an Act of the Parliament of India enacted to amend and codify the law relating to intestate or unwilled succession, among Hindus, Buddhists, Jains, and Sikhs. The Act lays down a uniform and comprehensive system of inheritance and succession into one Act. Therefore if you are either a Hindu, Buddhist, Jain or Sikh you will inherit your father's money or any other property from him according to this act. If you belong to any other religions you will inherit according to the relevant laws and thus you cannot redeem the amount with the cheque anymore after the death of a person.


Aryan Raj

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query