Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

nark   05 September 2016

Mutual consent divorce

Hi,

I have signed the mutual consent divorce petition in April this year in Hyderabad, India and the court has given another date in October for final hearing after 6 month cooling period. Iam currently in the US and have recently come here to US, i got a job and it would be difficult for me to come to india in October or soon so could anyone please let me know what options do i have to settle the divorce without coming to india.Im thinking of the following options. If there are any other better options than the ones stated below please let me know. Appreciate help on this!! Many Thanks!!

1. Can i give my parents the power of Attorney so that they can sign the final petition on my behalf so that i dont have to be there in person.

(OR)

2. Can the divorce papers be send to the US so that i can sign them and send them back 

(OR)

3. Can i postpone the hearing by couple of months

(OR)

4. DO i have to be in person to sign th petition.

Learning

4 Replies

Sidharth   05 September 2016

Dear Quriest,

As per the procedure both the parties need to appear personally in front of judge, You need to give special power of attorney to your father that he can appear on your behalf on second motion of divorce and to appoint a lawyer on your behalf.

1 Like

Nitish Banka (lawyer)     06 September 2016

if you are in USA courts can entertain POA for mutual consent.

Adv. Nitish Banka

Nitish Banka (lawyer)     06 September 2016

there are various judgments

Miloo Mishra V. Arun Kumar  AIR 2009 ORI 136

The facts of the case are Husband is in USA and he cannot come for the 2nd motionof mutual consent divorce, the High court at Orissa held that court can’t insist husband to hear him and opportunity of being heard can also be waived of by the party. The affidavit of the husband is an admissible evidence and that can be acted upon and the divorce can be given to the party.

https://www.the-laws.com/Encyclopedia/Browse/Case?CaseId=519002640000

Where the parties are living far away from the jurisdiction of the Court competent to dissolve the marriage, the parties after filing their affidavits can appoint attorneys to act on their behalf. Attorney is competent to act on behalf of the principal on the basis of power of attorney executed by the principal. The Courts have been allowing attorneys to file the petition, to withdraw the petition, to carry on proceedings in the Court on behalf of their principal in all other cases. Theattorney can also act in matrimonial cases as per instructions of their principle. The Court can take necessary precautions to prevent frauds being perpetuated on it but unless the Court smells some kind of fraud being played with it, the Court should normally recognize the act of the attorneys. 

https://delhicourts.nic.in/Sep08/Vinay%20Jude%20Dias%20Vs.%20Renajeet%20Kaur.pdf

nark   07 September 2016

Thank you for the response, could you also please let me know the procedure to get POA. Many Thanks!!!

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register