LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

anand nair (Mr)     10 July 2014

Father's self acquired property

My father went to another state (punjab) and purchased some property on own. He made the house when I was in 12th class (10 years ago). I managed/handled all the construction and lived there until recently I married and shifted to kerala.

Father died last year. Mother asking me to come to Punjab and sign some papers to transfer property in her name. Is there any need for me to sign anything to let her have the self acquired property of my father. Please guide. I think I dont have any share or stake in it and shouldnt it go all to my mother without my signature. I have some sour relations with my mother & brother and they want me to sign and give it in my mother's name.

Thanks in Advance!

Learning

2 Replies

Anish Thakur 7018812737 (advocate)     10 July 2014

your father has died intestate mean without making any will ,your father was free to give or donate that property to any individual but here he died intestate then his property will go to his wife and children as per the hindu succession act and equal share to each.they are asking you to sign the reliquishment deed which mean you are leaving your share to your mother name.they cant transfer or sale your share without your consent to anyone.now its upto you whether you want to leave your share to your mother or not ? once you left your share to your mother your mother will be sole owner and she will be free to donate ,gift or make will of that property .you will not have any interference in that property.free feel to call.

1 Like

anand nair (Mr)     14 July 2014

Thanks Mr. Anish Thakur ji,

For your valuable and helpful response. It will help me take the right step now.

Thanks!

Anand

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register