LIVE Online Course on NDPS by Riva Pocha and Adv. Taraq Sayed. Starting from 24th May. Register Now!!
LAW Courses

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

sutapa sarkar   07 March 2016

Continuous threatening by in-laws

I was married 2yrs ago,my husband and I,both are govt. employee. After my marrige I started to live at my in-laws house,after sometimes they started to create pressure on me regarding dowry,they wanted money from me and my mother (my father died just 30days before my marriage) to repair their house,to buyAC etc. Their pressure was so extreme that I tried to commit suicide, but was rescued. After that I left my in-laws house and started to live at my own flat with my mother. My husband used to come to my flat at night only, and this system continued for last 6 months. I had no relation with the other members of my in-laws . But my husband too started asking for money from me and my mother,he often beat me as i denied to give him money. Now from last 1month we are living separate, my husband is living at his house and I live here with my mother,we have no cantact for last one month. Now ,today i got a phone call from an unknown person, who said that my in-laws have submitted a petition against me at Polba police station(my in-laws house in under polba p.s and my house is under chuchura p.s) and he asked me to meet him at polba p.s,he introduced himself as a lawyer and said that he want to talk to me on this matter. I denied to go anywhere to meet an unknown person. Now I want to know what should I do? Should I meet that person or what legal step can I take? my security is also at risk as I stay here alone with my mother.


 4 Replies

Nitin (marketting manager)     07 March 2016

First thing to do is go to the nearest police station and report the issue

they will guide you how to proceed further.



laxmi kant joshi (instructor)     07 March 2016

Note down the mobile no. and immediately report the matter to the police station and narrate every thing there, ask protection from the police as you feel life danger from your husband and in-laws.

Samir N (General Queries) (Business)     07 March 2016

The advice given above by the two gentlement is perfect. Remember that if a complaint has been filed against you in a police station and the police thinks it is worth looking at, then it is the police and not some lawyer who is going to call you to come to the police station. Now you may get some advice to file DV case against your husband. Please don't do that. If it is not a situation that you can resolve amicably, file for divorce or mutual consent divorce. There, you can ask for any demands you want to make - Sridhan, maintenance, etc.. One case, one court, one advocate, one headache!  File for DV and all this will multiply!!!  Try to understand the core issue in your dispute and try to resolve that with your husband. Do not focus on peripheral issues which may blur your judgment and mess up ur marriage further. 

Nitish Banka (lawyer)     08 March 2016

Dear mam,

You may file complaint in the police station under 498a, DV and under the Dowry Prohibition act.

Warm Regards,

Advocate Nitish Banka


Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query