Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Kumar Krishna (none)     19 August 2013

Claiming settlement mandatory?

Hello All,

My parents have a joint saving account with Bank Of India. The operational mandate for the saving account is "Either or Survivor". Amount from this saving account was used to create a joint fixed deposit (FD) between them. The FD is repayable to "Either or Survivor". My father's name precedes my mother's name in both cases. My father passed away on January 2013. The fixed deposit matured earlier this month. My mother asked the branch manager (BM) to transfer the amount of FD to the joint saving account between my parents. He inquired about my father and after we told BM about my father's demise, BM declined to repay the FD. BM is asking us for my father's Death Certificate and asking us to claim a settlement for the FD as well as the saving account. I do have the Death Certificate of my father, but I feel the BM is wrong in impeding my mother's access to the accounts. I have a few queries regarding this scenario

A) Is the settlement claim mandatory for the FD to be repaid, when the FD certificate clearly mentions that it is repayable to "Either Or Survivor"?

B) Is it mandatory to claim settlement of both saving account and fixed deposit together?

Learning

2 Replies

BSNbanbans (manager)     19 August 2013

the BM is coorect the account opration is either an surviover but the account is in joint name so you need to submite the claim form for both the account its is RBI mandate. 

Kumar Krishna (none)     19 August 2013

Thanks for the reply BSNbanbans. To add to the earlier scenario there is another joint saving account between my father, mother and sister in the same bank branch. The mandate for operation in this account is "Anyone or Survivor". Do we need to claim a settlement for this saving account as well along with the earlier ones?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register