LCI Learning
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Awes (Student)     28 June 2013

Change of mother's name on birth certificate

Dear Sirs,

I would apprecaite if  anyone could help me.
I recently applied for my passport but there is a major issue I am facing. My mother's name on my birth certificate is her house name (nickname) and not her official name which is present in all other documents like her voter id card, my college LC etc... The problem is that there is no proof of her house name.

The passport office requires only Birth Certificate as the proof of date of birth for persons born after 26-Jan-1989.

Please tell me if the there is any way I can get my mother's name corrected on my birth certificate.


 9 Replies

Mohammed Ameenuddin (Sr. Legal Manager)     28 June 2013

Let me know your DOB then I will advise.

Awes (Student)     28 June 2013

Date of birth is 28-Jan-1994

Awes (Student)     30 June 2013

Please can anybody help me out.

Thanks in anticipation.

Awes (Student)     01 July 2013

Dear Sirs

The clerk at the registrar office says its not possible.

However, i checked on the website of Public Health Department, Government of Maharashtra.


Q:Correction involving change of name
   Whether the correction or cancellation of entries in births/ deaths registers under section 15 of the Act also covers change of name? Whether Registrar is competent to effect correction involving change of name in respect of births/deaths occurred and registered prior to enforcement of the 1969 Act?
A: The question of change of name may be viewed from two angles. The first is that there may be some clerical error in writing the name in the register. For example, Ram might have been written by oversight as Ram Lal or the word Chandra might have been written as Chander. The correction of the name under such circumstances may be covered under section 15 of the Act. Similarly, the name might have been fraudulently or improperly entered in the register. This would also fall under section 15. The second aspect would cover such cases where a person changes his name and thereafter makes a request for the change of the name in the register also. Such a contingency is obviously not covered under section 15 of the Act. The name is one of the various entries prescribed in the register. So the change of name would be in fact, a correction of the entry relating to the name. Every case in regard to the request for change of name should therefore, be considered in the light of the aforesaid observations.

Can anybody confirm will my case fall under the yellow highlighted above. So that i can show this to the clerk and insist for correction to be made.

Looking for a kind person to guide me.


Awes (Student)     10 July 2013

Ameenuddin sir i have provide the DOB in above post.

Humble request can anybody advice to solve this issue.

Mohammed Ameenuddin (Sr. Legal Manager)     10 July 2013

Please apply for correction of birth certificate under Sec. 5 of B&D Registration Act.  with the concerned Tahsildar, in turn the Tahsildar will forward your file along with enquiry report to Sub Divisional Magistrate (Dy. Collector) as he is the competent authority. The SDM will issue a correction proceedings and the same will be incorporated in the B&D Register.

1 Like

Awes (Student)     11 July 2013

Thank you very much Ameenuddin sir.

Can you please confirm do you mean correction uncer Sec. 5 or it is Sec.15 ?

Mohammed Ameenuddin (Sr. Legal Manager)     11 July 2013

As per Section 15 - Correction or Cancellation of entry in the Register of Birth & Deaths of Registration of Births & Deaths Act, 1969 (Act. No. 18 of 1969)

Priya Sukumaran (Consultant)     16 September 2013

u can get a notary affidavit attested by a gazetted notary public and produce the same in corporation office and get it done..which corporation?? 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register