LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

lina abood (bussiness)     04 January 2011

capital gain

Dear Sir,

Eight months before I had sold my office which I had bought it Twenty five years back, and now to save on capital gain I have  decided to invest the fund in buying small shop,

My inquiry is within what period I should buy the shop to save on capital gain is there limited period and how long it is., and my second inquiry  can I save on capital gain by buying shop or it must be residential flat.

Please advice

Thanking You,


 2 Replies

shammi kumar (tax consultant)     08 January 2011


u can not save ur tax if u invest in shop so u have to invest in residential house

shammi Gaind



1 Like

Santosh Sharda (self)     08 January 2011

1) As Mr Shammi Kumar has rightly said, you can only invest in a residential premises if you want to save capital gains

2) You should do so within the same financial year. Or else put the money in a separate bank account for that purpose; your bank will guide you.  That is a capital gains account. 

3) You can also invest the money in RBI approved bonds, where the money will have to lie for a minimum specified period, and can be withdrawn anytime before that if you want to go in for a residential house purchase.


1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query