Intellectual Property Rights: Practice and Drafting by Adv Gautam Matani. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More


Can university demand money to give provisional certificate?

I completed a professional course from a well known university in Haryana.I passed its exam in 2009 and also got my original marksheet in a few months.However they said I will get the degree only in November 2011.


Meanwhile I am getting govt. job after passing a competitive exam.As per the rules,within 20 days from now, I have to submit my original degree of the course which,as already explained above, can be obtained only in Nov,2011. 


So the govt. official told me to atleast submit my provisional certificate,in order to get the job.

I phoned the university to get it.They said I will have to come to the university in Haryana to get it,after paying Rs. 500.


Although I can afford to pay Rs. 500,still I wanted to know if it's legal on the part of the university to demand money to issue provisional certificate?


Please reply


 5 Replies

Vigneswaran (Lawyer)     23 May 2011

Dear Monica,

I think the University would have some rules or provisions based on which they charge you. may be u should pay the sum of 500 by way of Demand Draft in the name of the Registrar of the university, even if you do pay in cash ask for an acknowledgment or a receipt for the sum paid. which would help u to file a case if there are no rules to charge that sum from you. 

1 Like


Thank you very much for the answer.


I will go to the university personally to get it.So the money will be paid in cash only.


As per your advice,if I ask for the cash receipt,and suppose they do not give it,that means it's illegal demand.Now I have only 20 days to submit the provisional certificate to get govt. job.Obviously I will have to tolerate this by paying the amount without a receipt.Later on if I make a complaint,will I not be held as an equal party in giving bribe?

Vigneswaran (Lawyer)     24 May 2011

You first enquire them regarding the rule in which they charge you and i don think u will be penalised since you have your valid defense of getting through a job.

you can record your entire conversation, most cell phones and mp3 players will do a good job

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     21 June 2013

nothing more to add

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register