LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     20 February 2009

Can there be a case of theft without any complaint of theft?

Can there be a case of theft, without any complaint or FIR in police station?


 3 Replies

PALNITKAR V.V. (Lawyer)     20 February 2009

Normally, a police challan can not be filed without formal complaint or FIR.

AEJAZ AHMED (Legal Consultant/Lawyer)     21 February 2009

How can be ?

If there is any .....

then for Example.....?


Feroz M Shafeeque (Police Officer)     10 February 2010

Sorry for reviving the old thread.


Consider the case,


while taking the statement of accused in a theft case(or some other offence) he admits the commission of a theft at an earlier date. His confessional statement leads to the recovery of the property. If no complaint was received in the police station regarding the offence and no FIR is registered the police officer can register a suo motu FIR based on the confessional statement. Recovery can also be effected after registration of FIR. If the scene of occurrence of theft is outside the jurisdiction of the police station, the FIR can be transferred to the concerned police station.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register