Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sujay (stalker)     22 November 2013

Can one practice after doing LLB through distance ?

Hello,

One of my brothers is currently doing a job (PSU), but interested in doing LLB (which is a 3 yr course). And here lies the main confusion. If he opts to do the LLB through distance, will be eligible to practice ? (apart from Bar council exam).

As far as I have been told that if the college is bar council approved, then no issues. Just want you guys to confirm.

Also, he has done his graduation through distance (BBA), I hope it doesn't matters in further stage.

Thanks

Learning

11 Replies

Shantilal Pandya ( Advocate)     23 November 2013

you have been correctly told.
1 Like

sriram (advocate)     23 November 2013

Dear Friend, Studying LL.B through distance education would not be taken into consideration for legal profession. So join at regular college having BCI approval. Best Wishes.
1 Like

Sujay (stalker)     23 November 2013

Originally posted by : Shantilal Pandya
you have been correctly told.

Thanks for the reply sir. I was waiting for assurance from some professional like you, so that if one finds after 3 yrs of completion of course, that all was vain, then it'd be very painful.

But I'm confused by what sriram said. :?

You both have put me in a  fix. Please clear the air, and if it is backed with any source of BCI, then even better.

Thanks to both of you.

Shantilal Pandya ( Advocate)     27 November 2013

if the college is bar council approved, then no issues. 

Shantilal Pandya ( Advocate)     27 November 2013

approval of BCI is the criteria

1 Like

Sujay (stalker)     27 November 2013

Thanks a lot sir.

Now a silly question sir, can you tell me of any university which offers 3 yr LLB distance (after non-law grad) ? Googling wasn't able to give relevant suggestions. Most of them are offering Masters in business/corporate laws, which I'm not looking for.

With Regards

Sujay (stalker)     28 November 2013

One more question. Is one eligible for practicing doing these PG law degrees viz LLM or Masters in business law/corporate law offered by NLUs ?

saravanan (articled assistant)     19 April 2014

Hi Sujay, i you may note that the Madras HC has recently disqualified ppl pursuing distance LLB courses or in colleges that is offering LLB without undergoing regular scheme of education (i.e. not attending regular classes) from registering to the Bar councils. Hence, please note that pursuing LLB courses in distance or in colleges giving benefit in attendance may not be recognised in future considering the verdict. 

The reason behind my view is that the said pronouncement may get encouraged in other jurisdictionals too in the immediate future period. 

Other views are welcome in this regard and I shall appreciate if anybody could give a better view on this. 

Thanks.

Gautam (JCO)     23 July 2014

Dear Sir,

I am serving in Indian Army as JCO. and I want to do LLB 3 years course. I already discussed with Law College regarding attendance.

Will it be right or This LLB degree will be valid. Can i use this for my profession. Please suggest me.

I'll be very thankful.

Regrads

Gautam Rana

Aman Kumar (Programmer)     29 July 2014

After doing two years LLB you can't practice in court because your degree is neither complete nor acceptable by the bar council of India. Bar council of India recognizes only three years degree and therefore only a three years degree holder can practice in courts. You can probably opt for LLB part time which most of the university offers and i am sure Univ of Kashmir must be offering LLB part time.
IndianInk
Aman Kumar

Sheena Bajaj (CA)     01 August 2014

Dear, LLB is not available by distance mode anywhere in India as Bar Council of India don't approve of any LLB or LLM degree by distance mode.

One has to attend regular classes or can join regular evening classes to do LLM.

LLM is available by distance mode from some private foreign institutes but it is not recognised in India to practice law or to get a job in Government or private sector.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register