Civil Procedure Code (CPC)

Can mother encash demand draft in name of her minor child?

A mother has received a demand draft in name of her 8 yr old child ten days ago as maintenance of child from his father in court .How can it be encashed by mother now ?


Open a joint account in the bank with the minor and deposit the same in the account and then utilise it for thebenefit of the minor.

Total likes : 1 times


Senior Partner

1. By opening a Under Guardianship (U/G in short hereinafter) Saving Bank Account in the name of minor, she being natural mother guardian of the minor.

2. Document required by bankers are; address proof of guardian and date of birth certificate true attested copy of minor.

3. The first deposit to open U/G Account has to be done in cash by natural mother.

4. Nationalised Banks gives passbook and cheque book facility. Private banks such as IDBI / HDFC / ICIC to name a few even give Debit Card  Advantage is to open such U/G S/B A/C with Nationalised Banks for a simple reason they come under RTI Act and have PIO’s designated and RTI reply are admissible as Evidence as per IE Act.

5. With each withdrawal using a cheque book mother has to write an undertaking at the back of respective cheque leaf wording such as “the amount being withdrawn is for the welfare of the minor” .  

6. Court order is not necessary pre-requisite for opening such U/G banking a/c. KYC is Norm as per RBI guidelines now-a-days.


Above are suggested guidelines as best practice when a minor is in brush with custody / maintenance Laws.




Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  


  Search Forum



Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query
Civil Litigation Course     |    x