LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

thomas   11 June 2015

Can i apply for a divorce

My wife has been on treatment for schizophrenia for the past 8 years. When she started to show symptoms before treatment, she has caused many issues, which even forced me to move my residents a couple of times. With proper medication, it was kept under control all this while and now it has relapsed. I have been harassed by her with demands and acquisition of me with illicit relationship with other women, right in from of my children and her demands of purchases of high value , seems to give her a feeling that she is adding high pressure on me. She is back on medication again. I have received calls from her parents that she has made statements of me insisting her to stop her medications and the same coming from my parents who never stay with me or call her at any point in time.  It could be her illness but it was taken serious by her parents and they took it all on me. I have lived with her suspicion, stress and all the agony for this while and I am planning to go ahead with a seperation. 

Also I have used the gold she had received while marriage for part payment of a property, with her consent and with the knowledge of her parents for they helped us in giving it away and now she has been asking it all. I did mention that it will all be given within the next 6-8 months, but she seems pushing me and insulting me in public with it.  I have made half the amount but need to the other half.

FYI we had never had any fight to trigger any such happenings, life was fine and then suddenly it all changed. The doctor who treats her tells me that she didnt take her medicine well and it stopped reacting on her when she did. 

Please advice if I have a chance to get a seperation with my situation and what am I to consider before going ahead.

Learning

2 Replies

saravanan s (legal advisor)     11 June 2015

you can file contested divorce on grounds of cruelty

N R Dash.. (Advocate)     11 June 2015

You may file for Divorce, however, before that you must know that:

1. whatever allegations you mention as grounds for divorce, you need to prove them in court.
  2. Your wife may also file some counter petitions against you
  3. You would have to pay msaintenance to your wife
  4. The process could take years to get relief leading to physical and mental agony for you.

Decission is yours. Hire a good local advocate to take care of everything.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register