Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Accelerator_enthusiast (Student)     06 March 2023

Can i appear as petitioner-in-person after if i send the legal noice through an advocate?

As much as I dislike burdening the judiciary with new cases unless absolutely necessary, it seems I will have to file a case against my academic institution (in which I am a student) to fight against a discriminatory (at least in my opinion) practice they are following. I have filed an RTI, and based on its reply, I was thinking of first sending a legal notice, followed by a case in the City Civil Court.

I was thinking of fighting the case as Petitioner-in-Person. I will have to take help of someone while drafting the case, but I want to argue my own case (at least request the Hon'ble Judge to let me do so). On the other hand, I want the legal notice to be served by a lawyer rather than by me because some websites state that if signed by a lawyer, the notice will carry extra weight.

Here's my dilemma: If I argue the case myself, am I allowed to use the services of an Advocate to serve the notice? Will the Court question why I served the notice via an Advocate, but then appeared as Petitioner-in-Person?

Learning

2 Replies

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     07 March 2023

What is the opinion and advise of your professor / tutor / coach ??

Accelerator_enthusiast (Student)     07 March 2023

Originally posted by : Dr J C Vashista
What is the opinion and advise of your professor / tutor / coach ??

The Professors agree with my point of view, so do my classmates.

In brief, the students are not allowed to use the front gate to exit the college campus, while everyone else (higher authorities, faculty, non-teaching staff and even non-employees like personal drivers) are allowed. The college considers students as big vectors of COVID in a time when no one, from higher authorities to non-teaching staff, are wearing masks. A gate is nothing special, and I find this discrimination of the students and against the principles of natural justice. The security literally abused me yesterday when I asked them to produce a written notice that specifically prohibits only students from using a basic facility like an entrance passage. I have filed an RTI last week; based on its reply, I will first send a legal notice, then initiate a litigation pleading permanent injunction.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register