Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sumeet Attri (Facility Executive)     24 November 2014

Can gpa properties be sold?

Respected All,

I have a query and need information as well.

I live in a GPA property in Delhi and the power of attorney shifted from the Original person to my grandfather and post his demise it eventually was transferred in name his sons. We got the property re-build and the builder gave floor wise possession to each of the sons. Also, the builder took the ground floor and basement as per agreement and opened a market in residential plot which got sealed by the Municipal Authorities and has been sealed since.

The first and third floor got sold off as before the concept of GPA / leasehold property not really mattered at that time (correct me if I am wrong). Now, I am staying on the second floor and want to sell the property. All I want to know is:

1. What is the difference between a leasehold property and GPA property?

2. What I understand is that as my property which does not have a correct title holder / owner is a leasehold property or a general power of attorney?

3. What is the procedure to correctly identify the status of property as a lot of property dealers in the area term it as a "leasehold" property.

I might sound confused, but will eventually share details to seek guidance.

Regards,

Sumeet Attri

Learning

1 Replies

Hardeep (Business)     24 November 2014

In summary, if you have a clear GPA and it allows you to sell the property you can do so.

GPA by itself doesn't transfer any title. Property has to be registered in the Buyer's name for that.

This may give you some more inputs :

https://aquestionoflaw.wordpress.com/2014/09/15/general-power-of-attorney-gpa-does-not-convey-any-right-or-title-so-not-safe-for-genuine-purchasers/

DISCLAIMER : General information and advice provided is without any warranties as to suitability for any use, correctness and application to any specific case. Please always take proper legal counsel . However, if it helped anyone even a little a " thanks" via the "Thanks Contributor Button " would be appreciated and would encourage me to keep on making efforts :-) . I am also always open to corrections and further learnings from more experienced Seniors here.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register