25% OFF on all LCI Courses. Offer valid till 5th Oct. Use Code: DUS25
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

seema sharma ( manager)     19 October 2011

Can an advocate be permitted to do job in pvt sector

can an advocate be permitted to do job in pvt sector,

i got an offer but i dont want to lose my license, i have read this citation, but it is for govt employee,

-Satish K. Sharma v. The Bar Council . JT 2001 (1) (SC) 236: AIR 2001 SC 509.

pls guide me


 12 Replies

Nadeem Qureshi (Advocate/ nadeemqureshi1@gmail.com)     19 October 2011

Dear manju

if you want to join any private sector then informed the BCI about this till your job you license will not  be terminated but you have lost your right to practice till job. 

1 Like

VIJAYAKUMAR (Asst.Manager Lega)     19 October 2011

Dear Manju sharma,

According to Advocates Act, an advocate should not engage in full time profession other than law practice.  But he can work as part time lecturer in Law colleges and be a legal consulant in private companies.


1 Like

yogesh (will tell you later)     19 October 2011

In LPO,The advocates retain their licenses and do the job..

1 Like

seema sharma ( manager)     22 October 2011

can I join as manager, or May I join as managemnt consultant.

in fact the  concern is of my relative and they wants to employ me.

pls guide in detail.

Adv. Vaishali Karloopia (lawyer)     23 October 2011

I agree with Vijay kumar. You can listen to the expectation of your family first and then take decision so GOOD LUCK

MANOJ KUMAR (Senior Assoicate advocate)     25 October 2011

You can apply for the suspension of your license till the time you work in private, and you can inform the bar to lift the suspension of license and you can practise from that period. or else you will be penalised as per the Sdvocates Act.

1 Like


@Manju: Why not but provided it does not interfere in your normal practise. Right to life is also right to livliehood and Advocates Act cannot over rule the Constitution of India. Many  Advocates on record pratise all over through Registrars,lover court advocates. Many Supreme Court judges have setup Mega empires through their progeny advocates like many in the Bar Council itself. Still to on safer side you take the permission of the Bar Council. Just inform them but don't ask for permission as informing is a better deal than asking and if Bar Council does not notice than they shoulld get out of Bar Council. Then you also take expicit permission of the Supreme Court,rasing defects in the Advocates ACT vis a vis the Constitution of India.

1 Like

yogesh (will tell you later)     27 October 2011

In that case if any aggrieved party think reasonably that Advocate Act is bar to its funadmental right, it better to challenge the provisons of law through Appropriate Writ Jurisdiction

1 Like

seema sharma ( manager)     27 October 2011

isn't there any loop hole exist? in current scenario

yogesh (will tell you later)     27 October 2011

Actually, Rules have been made in 1961 so that advocate should work with utmost dedication for its upliftment and for this he sacrficed many years in order to find place there..Such things are not been noticed whose family/collegium comprises of the advocates/lawyers...Many struggling lawyers give for white collar jobs for finding more security there

Now the question arises if he/she is on rolls at what maximum it can misuse it by enrolling it answer is nil..as he can show the experience in judicial jobs or high profile legal jobs where the success rate of the practising lawyer is nil..There needs for the amendment with the change in time due to uprising of the legal jobs in LPO/ Corporate sector where one can be benefitted by application of the legal knowledge earned through law degree


Most parts of Advocates ar Ultra vires of the Constitution of India much to the detriment of Advocates and Clients both.

Ramakrishna (member)     29 October 2011

yes an advocate can do a job in pvt sector provided u inform the bar council.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query