Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

praveen   10 February 2015

Can a partition be forced?

Dear experts,

I need some help understanding this situation in our family.

My father has three sons, I being the eldest. My father has middle-school education and started his life after marriage in a state of poverty. My mother worked to help our family earn our bread. I started assisting my father in his business since the age of 5. My brothers started assisting when they reached 8-10 years.

Due to nature of my father, the environment in our family was a lot worse than it could have been. He is an ill-tempered man with extremely rude attitude. Despite all of us helping him earn our bread, he beat us inhumanely (my mother and all us brothers) at the drop of a hat. My mother suffered the worst, followed by me. After 35-36 years of marriage, my mother finally succumbed to injuries received from beating by my father. Most of it is public knowledge as a large %age of these beatings were well in the broad daylight in public view.

Due to inhuman treatment meted out by my father, I started growing away from him day-by-day. Finally, at the age of 20 my father drove me out of the city with a promise to support me for 6 months to stand on my feet. I moved to a metro city, joined a computer course and started looking for ways to steady my life, which I eventually did. Differences between I and my dad kept increasing and I never looked back except for social occasions in my family.

When I was forced to leave my home, my family had become a stable middle-class family. Behind me our business kept growing. When my brothers reached adulthood they were given capital to start their own businesses, which they did. Today, both my brothers and my father have their own separate well-running businesses and overall our family classifies as upper-middle class.

While a formal partition in the family has never taken place, as on today, my father and two brothers have settled businesses. My father has also done an oral partition of our ancestral house (which was gifted to my late mother by my late grandfather).

Since I contributed the most in my family's up-rise (second only to my mother and father) I expect my father to give me my share of property. I requested my father to at least give me some space in my ancestral house (which is in my late mother's name). But he is adamant on not giving me 'anything' during his life-time. He says I can take my share after his death.

Question 1: Am I justified in expecting my father to give me 'my share' in 'his property' (my father's alone, excluding my brothers').

Question 2: Can I force a partition? Is bringing a partition suite a feasible idea in the circumstances? (Note: My father has no social commitments left and I am willing to support him for the remainder of his life even if my brothers don't).)

Question 3: Since no formal partition has ever taken place, and our family still classifies as a joint family (from legal perspective) can my brothers stake claim on properties earned and purchased by me (on the ground of everyone still being in a joint-family)?

Question 4: I have been told my father can't sell/gift the ancestral property to my brothers (since it's in my late mother's name). Is it correct?

Question 5: Will I automatically become the owner of 1/3rd of ancestral property or will I have to fight to get it. Since I don't live in the city, I don't have possession of it. (I asked even for one room in it, my father refused.)

Learning

7 Replies

I left some spelling mistakes in the original post. Just corrected them.

Thank you in advance for your expert advices.

saravanan s (legal advisor)     10 February 2015

a partition can be forced only on a ancestral property and that too only if u r a coparcenor.in ur case even though you have contributed to the growth of your family the property would be assumed to be your fathers self earned property.so on that basis he can will it to anyone he likes.

if  that happens in future you can file a probate for the will and raise your objections 

in case if your father dies intestate all legal heirs including you will get equal share.

when a woman gets  a property either ansestral or self earned from her parents or through anyone its considered to be her self earned property.

assuming that she died intestate her husband and childrens are entitled to get equal share.you can file a partition suit in the court to claim your share in the property on your mothers name.

Dear Mr Saravanan,

Thank you for the reply. What does the term 'coparcenor' mean?

Advocate Ravinder (Advocate/Attorney)     10 February 2015

I completely agree with Saravanan.

Question 1: Am I justified in expecting my father to give me 'my share' in 'his property' (my father's alone, excluding my brothers').

A. You cannot ask share in the business of your father and brothers, but you have right in the share of your late mother.  On the death of your mother, the property devolves upon you, your father and your brothers equally i.e. four shares.  You will get 1/4th share. 

Question 2: Can I force a partition? Is bringing a partition suite a feasible idea in the circumstances? (Note: My father has no social commitments left and I am willing to support him for the remainder of his life even if my brothers don't).)

A.  Yes, you can file a partition suit in civil court. 

Question 3: Since no formal partition has ever taken place, and our family still classifies as a joint family (from legal perspective) can my brothers stake claim on properties earned and purchased by me (on the ground of everyone still being in a joint-family)?. 

A. Normally, you cannot stake claim.  Because it is not believable that in such a tender age you have contributed to the family. 

Question 4: I have been told my father can't sell/gift the ancestral property to my brothers (since it's in my late mother's name). Is it correct?

A. Yes, already answered above.

Question 5: Will I automatically become the owner of 1/3rd of ancestral property or will I have to fight to get it. Since I don't live in the city, I don't have possession of it. (I asked even for one room in it, my father refused.)

A. You have to file a partition suit.  You will get 1/4th share. 

praveen   12 February 2015

Dear Mr Ravinder,

Thank you very much for clear answers. It's very helpful! I just have one question remaining.

Upon my father's death (my mother who is legal owner has already proceeded to her heavenly abode), will I automatically become the legal owner of 1/3rd of our ancestral property? Or will I have to stake a claim?

If I do want to file a partition suite, does it need to be done in the jurisdiction of the place where property is located or can I file it anywhere in India?

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     12 February 2015

First of all you should know that in a previous thread you have asked a query to avenge your father for your mother's death, now you say i this thread that you want to look after your father for the remainder of his life, which is true or whether you are passing your time by posting academic queries to update you knowledge?   You have got a right for 1/4th share in your mother's property, you can file partition suit only where the property is situate.

praveen   13 February 2015

Originally posted by : T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate

First of all you should know that in a previous thread you have asked a query to avenge your father for your mother's death, now you say i this thread that you want to look after your father for the remainder of his life, which is true or whether you are passing your time by posting academic queries to update you knowledge?   You have got a right for 1/4th share in your mother's property, you can file partition suit only where the property is situate.

Dear Mr Kalaisevlan,

You misinterpreted. I said "support" him, not "look after" him. With my father's nature/attitude he will not find "anyone" to look after him except for greediest and cunningest of individuals. Besides, I live far away from my home town where my father and brothers live. So there is no question of me "looking after" him.

When I raised the question of partition, he said he has a life of his own to look after. Partition can't be done now. "Anything" "anyone" wants to do can only do after his death. I asked him what's your fear? I said do you think you will starve? Do you have any financial insecurity? If that's the case I will support you for the rest of your life. Because I know, one doesn't even need a fraction of money he is sitting over. Worst, all the property is earned by all us brothers and he is sitting over it obstructing everyone's individual growth. If he does divide the family and free everyone from his illegal control everyone would move ahead in their life much faster.

He doesn't want to do the partition now because he wants to keep everyone's mouth shut in the greed of his properties. That is the reason I am trying to know whether a partition can be forced.

Thank you for your valuable time. It's really appreciated!

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register