Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Kiran (software developer)     19 December 2012

Builder refusing refund of booking amount

Hello,

My name is Kiran. I had booked a flat on 29 October 2012 in an ongoing project in Bangalore. I had paid Rs. 1 Lakh amount. They have not yet got one approval for top floor. I realized it after the boking and they told they are getting it. After that two times I had written a mail to them asking to cancel the booking. But they gave some options each time, to which I agreed. First time they told me that I can do the sale agreeemnt and pay the agreement amount only after the approval comes. Second time I had given the reason of not getting bank loan. That time they gave me some bank contact info. During those days I was in confusion. Buy finally I decided to cancel it on 27 November and wrote a mail to them. After couple of mail exchanges they agreed to cancel and asked for 2 weeks time. The wording (also font and color) in the mail are "But, i need couple of weeks time from you & will try my best to take out your money with a  less deduction happening.". I waited for 2 weeks. I didn't visit their office for cancellation. Even I didn't fill any form since they didn't told me to do so. When I went today to their office he told me according to their rules thay can't refund any amount. The booking form doesn't mention clearly about the booking refund amoumt. It just says the following

"The booking is subjected to acceptance by XYZ , the applicants agree to execute the agreement of purchase of undivided interest in land and construction of apartment in XYZ. Standard format within 15-20 days from the booking date failing which the offer shall stand cancelled. .......... The terms and condition in the sale agreement cannot be changed ot altered; Refund of booking amount will be done after 30 days from the date of cancellation".

They say that if I had cancelled within 15 days of booking then only I would have got the amount (50%). But that info is not there in the booking form.

What should I do now? Am I on the right side or the builder is right? Any possibility getting my money (without spending too much to do it)?

Learning

3 Replies

Advocate M.Bhadra   19 December 2012

If you have valid money receipt then you can send a legal notice claiming refund your money,if the builder would not comply then file a case in District Consumer Forun for deficiency of service.

Kiran (software developer)     20 December 2012

Thanks.

What are the steps I need to take before doing this? Do I need to fill the booking cancellation form (hard copy) first? Till now I have informed them only through emai.

Also, how long this process might take?

What that person is saying is according to rules they can't refund any amount. But he will try and get the money as a 'goodwill'. (Definitely he needs a cut in the money when he says that) and for that I need to wait couple of more weeks. But for that also he told he can't guarantee the money. He told he will talk to the MD when he is good mood...etc.

Is this a common approach followed by these people to mame money for themselves?

r.k (engineer)     14 November 2013

respected sir,

i have booked a duplex  on 29th oct. 2013 in cash down plan and 6.5 lac Rs.,but  the AGREEMENT IS NOT YET been signed with the builder.But due to some personal reasons, I  want to cancel  my booking  and want full refund .but the builder is saying that  10% of total consideraton (39 lac) will be deducted . 

so what is the provision of law? and what should  i do ?

regards r.k 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register